National Project Implementation Coordinator (NPSA-11)
UNDP Somalia and the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida) have signed an agreement to build the capacity of the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and the Federal Member States (FMS) with an overarching focus on promoting resilience of the water-stressed, ecologically-fragile, and disaster vulnerable communities in the country. The project promotes an integrated approach and addresses capacity gaps and national priorities for water, environment, and disaster risk management. It unleashes the potential of their synergies into a coherent and more integrated programming framework that is being implemented over a period of three years.
The project builds on past experiences, complements the ongoing national efforts under the National Development Plan (NDP-9), and calls for an integrated approach to deliver results on the ground in the areas of integrated water resources management, environmental governance, and disaster risk management.
The Project Admin and Finance Associate will be responsible for coordinating with the counterparts and the implementing partners and providing operational support for implementing the planned activities related to the project involving three components (Water, Environment and DRR) to be implemented in coordination and partnership with the three counterparts – Ministry of Energy and Water Resources (MoEWR), Directorate of Environment and Climate Change under the office of the Prime minister, and the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management respectively.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Functions:
- Support implementation of operational strategies
- Support effective organization of all travel arrangements
- Support to effective procurement, budgeting, financial and assets management
- Provide support to ensure that the project is administered timely and efficiently according to UNDP procedures
- Ensure effective administrative and secretariat support and knowledge management for the PMU
Support implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure full compliance of administrative, financial, and procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies, and strategies.
- Review and monitor financial reports received by implementing partners and guide partners in the development of such reports; follow up with partners to ensure timely fund disbursements
- Reconcile the records of payments with activities and recommend new disbursements to the Project staff.
- Prepare and monitor payments, contracts, procurements, travel, and human resources needs according to UNDP procedures, rules, and regulations and continually report on these aspects.
- Advise and guide staff and consultants on UNDP administrative and NEX reporting requirements, clearance procedures for finance, procurement, recruitment, travel, etc.
- Maintain filing records of programme documents and correspondence; draft routine correspondence and reports covering programme issues; follow-up pending issues and respond to queries.
- Assist in the preparation of budget, work plan, LOAs, and mobilise actions to address audit objection and the recommendations of the third-party monitoring (TPM) report.
Support effective organization of travel arrangements
- Act as secondary Travel Focal Point for the Sida-funded Project.
- Organise, facilitate, and undertake timely actions to support travel arrangements including tickets, securing clearance, visas etc. This includes arrangement of travel for participants for workshops, meetings and projects events..
- Guide, facilitate and support the implementing project to ensure that UNDP rules and procedures are duly complied in all project related travel and organization of the project events.
Provide support to effective Procurement, Budgeting and Financial and Assets management, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Initiate procurement actions according to AWP, implementation plan, procurement plans.
- Prepare inputs to ToRs, technical specifications, RFP/RFQ, bills of quantities.
- Compile solicitation and other supporting documents for procurement process and ensures that supporting document are complete and in line with the SOP
- Create e-requisitions in ATLAS to initiate procurement processes, ensures the accuracy of the COA of the e-req, follows up for approval and with CO Procurement Unit on ongoing procurement cases. Revises e-requisitions as necessary.
- Assist in evaluation of bid and offers, compiles and prepares documentation.
- Prepare Requests for Payments and submit to CO (according to SOP).
- Prepare receipts in ATLAS.
Provide support to ensure that the project is administered timely and efficiently according to UNDP procedures:
- Provide all necessary logistics, organisation and admin support to the project events and staff.
- Oversees the orderly maintenance of project premises including furniture, space and equipment. Ensures that UNDP assets are properly marked.
- Monitors leave of local and international project personnel, maintains updated and correct records and online systems.
- Maintain and periodic update of all project related inventories.
- Implement transfer of assets in close coordination with the CO Procurement Unit.
- Implement security arrangements for the project personnel in close coordination with UNDP Security.
- Maintain project supplies and initiates procurement of supplies as necessary.
- Coordinate ICT support to project with the UNDP CO. Calls in the ICT helpdesk.
- Maintain filing system for the project.
Ensure effective administrative and secretariat support and knowledge management for the PMU:
- Provide necessary administrative support for effective project governance including file management
- Attend project meetings and take minutes, records, dissemination to all participants.
- Advise, support and guide project staff, consultants on UNDP administrative and reporting requirements and clearance procedures for finance, procurement, recruitment, travel, etc.
- Collate and maintain up to date data relevant to the programme, drafting routine correspondence, following up pending issues and responding to queries
- Make sound contributions to information management, knowledge networks and communities of practice
The Admin/Finance Associate is expected to report to the Project Manager.
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary School Education
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in finance, administration and programme support service.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.),
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages,
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials.
- Experience working with UN organizations / international NGOs in Somalia or other countries of the region
- Experience in projects implementation in post-conflict situations.
- Proven ability to deliver results in complex and challenging environments, and to translate strategies and good practices into practical and feasible solutions
Language (at working level)
- Fluency in written and oral English and Somali.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.