Transforming lives through media around the world Job Advertisement
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. We use the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world. We work in partnership with broadcasters, governments, non-governmental organizations and donors to share reliable, timely and useful information.
We seek to recruit the following position for a new COVID 19 project, designed to contribute to combat the spread of the new coronavirus which causes the COVID 19. The successful candidate will be based in our office in Hargeisa Somaliland.
The role will be offered 11 months contract.
The role may involve working with vulnerable adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.
Title: Admin/finance office assistant
Reports to: Finance Officer
Based: Hargeisa, Somaliland
The Finance, Administration & Office Assistant provides administrative support to the Somali team.
- Ensure cash received is banked intact and on time; receive all cash withdrawn from the bank and ensure this is kept securely.
- Assist in maintaining petty cash and carry out physical cash counts and end month reconciliation.
- Process workshop and travel advance requests. Track outstanding advances and follow-up to ensure all are cleared on timely basis as per organization policies.
- Ensure accuracy of payment support documentation and follow-up for resolution of all questioned items.
- Respond on a timely basis to all inquiries from suppliers and staff.
- Responsible for completing and documenting transactions, effecting payment against approved invoices, and ensuring all appropriate payments/income is recorded as per organization policy
- Assist with monthly accounting closing process including bank reconciliations, other account reconciliations and end of year closing/audit processes.
- Checks making sure that all the information is correct, and gets the necessary approvals before making payment.
- Supports with the logistics for trainings makes bookings for hotels, airport pickups and drop offs; and processes payments for the hotels, venues, suppliers, taxis etc. after the training is over.
- Assist in making travel arrangements for incoming and outgoing staff and visitors to Somaliland; including taxi bookings, hotel accommodation.
- Ensures visitors are provided with a loaded local mobile phone with key numbers pre-programmed, and they hand back the phone before departure.
- Follow up on approved travel authorizations and risk assessments for staff members and visitors to Somaliland.
- Assists in the management of the department filing system and assist in the development of records management procedures and processes.
- And any other tasks that might be reasonably required by the finance and administration officer or the deputy country director.
- Assist with day to day operations of the admin functions and duties.
- Provide clerical and administrative support.
- Organize logistics and orientation for newly hired employees.
- Assist hiring managers with recruitment processes (as requested).
- Ensure that vetting (professional references and police background checks) are carried out by hiring managers and suitably evidenced.
- Assist in overseeing and evidencing induction for all staff and freelancers which includes training in safeguarding and the staff code of conduct.
- Evidence participation in face-to-face training with signed participation sheets and ensure these are stored securely within the country office.
- Report any safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Deputy Country Director, or using the Whistleblowing Policy.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- At least two years’ work experience with an international NGO in a similar role
- Relevant higher education preferably in accounting or business administration
- Good understanding of administrative, financial and general management principles
- Experience and proficiency on financial software and reporting systems
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Computer proficiency in general office software applications (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience working and dealing with different cultures
- Attention to detail, the ability to work speedily and accurately under pressure
- Good communication skills, the ability to deal confidently and effectively with staff at all levels, as well as external contacts, both in person and on the telephone
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and Somali
- Experience and understanding of international development and media issues
- Knowledge of BBC Media Action, its objectives and operation, and an understanding of the wider BBC
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically
Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people, and develop credibility and build effective relationships with both peers and colleagues
Planning and organizing:
- Able to make realistic plans with achievable deadlines, and prioritize work and time, effectively
- A thorough and systematic approach to paperwork and an ability to pay attention to accuracy and detail
Can communicate effectively with colleagues at all levels
- Remains calm under pressure, and is willing to persevere with tasks or projects
- Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy