The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The International Rescue Committee has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgadud regions) and Mogadishu implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH, Governance and peacebuilding, GBV, Nutrition, education and health reaching out to more than 200,000 conflict and drought affected people.
Reporting to the Human Resource & Administration manager, the HR/Administrative assistant is responsible for supporting the Somalia office in ensuring all administrative needs such as receiving & forwarding calls, managing the reception, booking flights for country team as per employee requests are met. The Human Resource & administrative assistant is the overall in charge of updating country employees files, facilitate and support audits, compile timesheets, timesheet trackers and track missing timesheets, leave tracker & ensuring that all staff utilize their leave as per IRC policy.
1. Personnel Administration:
The admin assistant is responsible for supporting and ensuring country office administrations are well implemented in consistence and according to IRC policies:
- Ensure Country staff files are updated regularly as per the check list.
- Ensure online staff files are regularly reviewed, updated and maintained in the box.
- Ensure all staff have valid staff IDs by liaising and coordinating with HROs.
- Ensure timesheets are submitted on a timely manner from field offices.
- Compile and update the timesheet tracking schedule from field offices on a monthly basis and regularly monitor and follow up on missing time sheets.
- Updating the leave tracker for all employees
- Verification of leave prior to approval,
- Custodian of leave application form,
- Manage the use of leave by staff to prevent undue levels of accruals,
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of IRC personnel policies and advise staff where necessary accordingly.
- Assist in payroll preparation and submission through checking.
- Act and assist other offices when there is gap or when needed.
- Any other duties assigned as per necessary.
2. Audit Facilitation and support:
- Prepares for audit by researching materials; formulating a plan of action.
- Supports external auditors by coordinating information requirements.
- Ensure all Files and data are updated and prior communicated
- Work closely with the auditor in submission and verifying to the documents required.
- Ensure audit recommendations are documented and implemented.
- Attend audit closeout meeting.
3. Travel & Transport:
- Maintain and update the country director and his deputies’ travel TAFs and TORS.
- Tracking of TAFs and TORs and ensuring all approvals are made by the authorizing persons.
- Ensure to share tickets with respective travelers in advance and provide necessary pre-arrival induction and orientation.
- Ensure and communicate arrivals and departures with supply chain with vehicle and escort arrangement in advance through email.
- Booking of humanitarian and commercial flights for travelers visiting the country office.
- Guide and prepare accommodation arrangement for travelling staff.
- Preparing payment requests for all travel and accommodation expenses, and following up until payment is made.
- Any other duties assigned as per necessary.
4. Visa & work Permits
- Prepare invitation letters & forwarding letters for visa for employees visiting the country program.
- Ensure all international employees apply and receive work permit.
- Track that all essential employees have valid multiple entry visas to Kenya & Somalia
- Laisse with the contact person at the immigration to fast track issuance of visas & work permit, s.
- Track all work permits and multiple entry visas to ensure they are renewed in timely manner
- Ensure all exiting international employees’ work permit is cancelled.
5. Office Administration and support **
- Distributing of monthly telephone bills and preparing payment requests for the same,
- Ensuring all documentation is provided by IRC contracted consultants and preparing payment requests for the services rendered.
- Typing, and editing official correspondence as requested,
- Planning and organizing country meetings and events, ensuring refreshments and meals are served as requested,
- Receive disposal documents from field offices and organize for review and approval.
- Any other duties assigned by your supervisor.
6. Front Office Management
- Keeping the reception area neat and clean at all times,
- Receiving, welcoming, screening and directing visitors to the appropriate departments.
- Receiving, assessing and referring telephone and personal inquiries to the appropriate staff members,
- Receiving and distributing mail to the appropriate staffs,
- Diploma in HR/business administration or relevant field
- Experience in use of computers. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications: Excel, Word, Outlook and Windows Operating System, preferably Windows 10.
- Past experience in the use of Enterprise Resource Planning Systems (ERP)
- 2 years, working experience in a similar position or relevant position.
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, trustworthy and honest
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Must demonstrate flexibility, and ability to readily adapt to changing requirements and environments;
- Excellent English oral and written skills a must.
Demonstrated skills in:
- Team Building
- Time Management
- Excellent Verbal and Written Communication in English
- Good presentation skills
- Positive Interpersonal interactions
- Negotiation Cultural and Diversity Sensitivity
Demonstrated Ability to:
- Work independently
- Work within tight deadlines
- Work within a multicultural , multi-ethnic environment
- Exercise flexibility in the role to accomplish goals
Apply through the following link:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Diversity and Inclusion: at IRC, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. Organizations that are diverse in age, gender identity, race, physical or mental ability, nationality, and perspective are validated to be better organizations. More importantly, creating a safe workspace environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best is the right thing to do. So, bring your whole self to work.
IRC is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, respectful, and safe work environment where all persons are treated fairly, with dignity and respect. In keeping with our core values of Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality, IRC strives to maintain a work environment built on mutual respect in which all individuals treat each other professionally, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment. IRC expressly prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or bullying of IRC Persons in any work setting. All IRC staff, wherever they are located, are accountable for creating an environment free of discrimination, harassment, bullying, and retaliation.