The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Under the supervision of the Field Coordinator of Mogadishu and HR Manager, the HR/Admin officer will support and be the focal person in various HR and admin functions for IRC Somalia Mogadishu field office, such as ensuring adherence to all personnel policies, recruitment, orientation and training for newly recruited staff and overall office administration.
The HR/Admin officer participates in maintaining and reviewing all administrative and human resource systems and procedures. S/he will ensure uniform compliance with policies and procedures.
1. Policy & Labor Laws
- Implementation of policies in Mogadishu field office. Assist the FC and the HR/Admin Lead in developing and reviewing policies/ guidelines for further presentation to the DDO/CD.
- Support in disseminating the policies & procedures to all employees.
- Ensure proper and adequate understanding of Somalia labor laws and IRC’s obligations and advice the employees & the management on the same.
2. Talent Acquisition and Management
- Supports the hiring managers for all field office recruitment by:
- Ensuring the position request form is properly completed & shared with HR/Admin Nairobi for advertisement.
- Contacting candidates for interview.
- Providing the panel with the interview packs.
- Contacting referees post interview to support appointment.
- Sending unsuccessful candidates, regret letters.
- Maintain updated recruitment files for each position recruited.
- Coordinate a comprehensive orientation schedule for all new staff ensuring a sign off on orientation with staff.
- Ensure the following are available for the staff prior on arrival ( Email address, laptop/desktop, desk, seat and etc)
3. Performance Management
- Updating the performance management tracker.
- Communicate to line managers on reviews due.
- Ensuring that all staff have been reviewed & goals set.
- Ensuring that performance procedures are followed.
- Ensuring performance management documents such as goal setting & reviews are filed in each staff file.
- Ensuring the right performance management templates are used.
4. Payroll Administration
- Ensure the data on the payroll software is up to date.
- Verification of payroll information before approval.
- Ensure timely processing of the national staff monthly payroll and submission of the same to the Nairobi Office.
- Monitor and ensure the timely preparation and payment of payroll for the seconded staffs, back pay, severance and other related pays due to staff.
- Custodian of all payroll documentation.
5. Service & Administration
- Monitor and ensure that all personnel documents are updated and maintained in the personnel files at the field office.
- Ensure all employees database is maintained and updated both at the payroll system and the HRIS system.
- Maintain up to date leave records for staff.
- Monitor and coordinate timely contract renewals, preparation of ID cards, hiring and termination letters.
- Follow up and ensure to conduct exit interviews for exiting staff and maintain copies on the file.
- Overall responsibility for office administration ensuring smooth functioning of the office and portrayal of professionalism- cleanliness, staff attendance, management of visitors.
- Follow up timely procurement of office supplies and monitor reconciliation of office supplies with the warehouse report from logistics.
6. Information management: (HRIS)
- Maintain & update employee records and other HR records on Human Resource Information System: - Input of changes to employee records including new staff, exiting staff & contract extensions/ terminations.
- Ensures all new staff has access to the HR manual and relevant updates on their benefit usage.
- Produces reports to monitor HR metrics on staffing, timesheets and recruitment.
- Follows up on HR audit reports and effects agreed solutions on staff data and information management.
- Provide weekly/monthly reports to the HR lead, Field on the status of:
- Personnel files
- Performance Management
8. Exit Management
- Coordinate clearance of staff separating from the organization including exit interviews and final dues payments.
- Ensure timely deletion of staff from insurance benefits.
- Advising staff of exit policy & procedure.
- Providing exit documents as well as guide to the Separating staff.
- Preparation and sending of resignation acceptance letter to the staff.
- Timely preparation of final dues.
- Ensuring signed copies of the final dues documents are received and filed in the staff file.
- Conducting exit interviews for the exiting staff.
9. Guest House management
- Supervise the guesthouse for smooth running; cleaning, meals and support to visitors keeping register of guesthouse use.
- Supervise and provide instruction to the cleaners/cook cleaner in order to keep clean office and guest house in acceptable manner.
- Keep copies of keys all Office and guest house as a spare and kept in the office of HR/Admin Officer in case of other keys are lost.
- Supervise weekly inside/ outside of the guest house /office by pointing out areas that needs to be cleaned by the cleaners.
- Monitor, and report all office and guesthouse repair needs.
- Undertake any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- University Degree in Human Resource management or Business Administration.
- At least 3 years’ experience with an INGO in similar roles.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to operate professionally and at a pace that assists in fast tracking various HR & Admin processes and decisions.
- Ability to manage demanding workload and problem solving.
- Excellent computer skills, especially word, excel and power point.
- Excellent in English and Somali both speaking & writing.