About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is an international humanitarian and development organization whose mission is to reduce suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been working in Somalia since 2003, with programs that contribute to the humanitarian response in the country with a vision to help people to meet their basic needs, boost their economic activities and enhance their resilience to recurring shocks – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
General Position Summary
M&E Assistant is an important position in Mercy Corps Somalia program; responsible for providing support and participating in country-level monitoring and evaluation (M&E) department, ensuring quality in the portfolio’s M&E, and timely delivery of M&E report ts, as well as information management via Mercy Corps’ proprietary Tola systems, and other such systems as the M&E Assistant may design and implement. The M&E Assistant’s role is to support and promote coordination of the technical areas across M&E staff and programs, specifically activities in Nugal and Mudug regions; and s/he will be based in Garowe. The M&E Assistant will also support capacity building and mentoring strategy for Mercy Corps Somalia staff on themes related to monitoring, evaluation, accountability, learning and adaptive management. As well as beneficiaries’ accountability through the established country program CARM system adhering to the standard operating procedures and Mercy Corps globally CARM minimum standards.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategic Leadership and Accountability
- Ensure programs are effectively implementing/using required M&E systems and tools.
- Compile program-level innovations and feedback, incorporating it into the broader country-level M&E system
- Implement Mercy Corps Somalia’s multi-level Community Accountability and Reporting Mechanism (CARM).
- Participate in internal and external M&E-related working groups and maintain close working relationships with M&E counterparts in other relevant international NGOs, local NGOs and associations in Somalia.
- Promote and learn the use of M&E and ICT best practices.
- Execute an office-wide M&E agenda, with prioritized subjects of strategic assessment and evaluation.
- Participate in recruitment, training and supervision of enumerators
Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Information Management
- With the support from the Senior MEAL Officer, the M&E Assistant implements Mercy Corps Somalia holistic MEAL system that uses open source software and flexible cloud solutions to more accurately collect, monitor, verify and document program activities.
- Contribute to program design, ensuring adherence to Mercy Corps M&E best practices and minimum standards, including the use of standardized indicators, form templates and documentation methodologies.
- Support in ensuring accuracy and comprehensiveness of country-level reporting on indicators such as beneficiary numbers, design for impact indicators and other information as needed.
- Support in the development of a mobile data collected capability, as well as relational database design
- Participate in data collection to measure performance of indicators, generating learning at different stages of the program implementation.
- Regularly monitoring program activities implemented in his area/ location (Garowe) and compile monitoring/ progress report and submit to the Senior MEAL Officer on a monthly basis.
Capacity Building and Mentoring
- Support implementation of assessments and surveys by training/ orienting enumerators.
- Under the direction of the MEAL Manager and in coordination with the Program Manager, support efforts to promote and share internal learning.
- Work closely with Program Managers and Human Resources to ensure that accountability issues are incorporated in all enumerators’ scope of work.
- Contribute to the knowledge management repository with best practices in M&E and ICT and ensure that it is accessible to all staff and partners.
- Assist in maintaining proper and standardized filing system for storing program documents according to Mercy Corps Program Management Minimum Standard.
- Participate in updating the google drive and ensure the information are up to date for all the running and closed projects.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Reports Directly To: Senior M&E Officer
Works Directly with: Program and operation staff in Garowe district as well as those in the field offices when needed.
Knowledge and Experience
- A bachelor`s degree in Social Sciences, Information Technology, Development Studies, Statistics or a related discipline with 1-2 years’ experience in M&E.
- Excellent written English skills, with proven ability to produce final documents (such as log frames, results framework, etc.) for donor consumption
- Successful experience with the adoption of mobile data collection tools like Open Data Kit (ODK) and Ona including XLS Forms authoring.
- Experience with theoretical and practical background in research or MEAL and knowledge of qualitative and quantitative methodologies and techniques used.
- Excellent quantitative skills and experience with Excel, Access, and statistical packages including Stata and/or SPSS, and Google Earth Engine.
- Experience with data management including the ability to structure and collate data sets for ease of analysis.
- Demonstrated understanding of intermediate statistics and ability to summarize and make predictions from multiple data sets.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan and implement research activities creatively, as well as possess the ability to analyze data and utilize lessons learned for the continuous improvement of program implementation and to promote a culture of learning.
- Proven ability to work productively with a variety of stakeholders to run participatory processes and meet tight deadlines with an emphasis on producing quality products.
- Actively promote communication, learning and accountability.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex programming and volatile environments
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through https://www.mercycorps.org/careers/national only shortlisted candidates will be contacted