Assistant Representative, NOD – Garowe, Puntland – Somalia
Job Title: Assistant Representative, NOD – Garowe, Puntland – Somalia
Location: Garowe, Puntland – Somalia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Regular/Temporary : Regular
NOTE: THIS POST IS BEING EXTENDED TO WIDEN THE POOL OF CANDIDATES.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS VACANCY IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY
Closing date: 31 May 2020.
Duration: One year renewable (*)
(*) No expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN Staff Regulations 4.5.
The Position: The Assistant Representative is located in the UNFPA Garowe Office, Somalia and reports to the UNFPA Representative.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
How you can make a difference:
- UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
- UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
- Under the guidance and direction of the Representative, you will work with local authorities, UN system organizations, multi and bilateral international development agencies, civil society and local communities to primarily provide technical and programme assistance to the activities of the UNFPA Country Programme.
- You will have responsibilities for the day-to-day operations on the ground and oversight of the substantive and technical content of the programme, as well as finance, personnel and office administration matters.
- You will advance the ICPD policy agenda in a politically sensitive environment responding to changing substantive priorities of Governments. You will facilitate and coordinate technical advisers and experts and promote partnerships, synergy and strategic alliances with counterparts, Government, multi-lateral and bilateral agencies and civil society. You will contribute to UN system’s coordination through participation in policy dialogue and provision of inputs into joint UN common system initiatives.
You would be responsible for:
- Conducting substantive policy dialogue with Government counterparts and UN and other development partners to facilitate the incorporation of UNFPA’s programme priorities and ICPD agenda into national plans and strategies, UN system’s initiatives and development frameworks (CCA, UNSF, PRSPs, SWAPs, SDGs).
- Translating global strategies into country-specific advocacy strategies, creating and delivering effective evidence-based advocacy messages to promote UNFPA’s programme goals taking into account political and social sensitivities.
- Promoting a results-based approach and integrating innovative policies and strategies into the design and formulation of country programmes, sub-programmes and projects based on strategic priorities and responsive to the country’s needs in the areas of reproductive health, population and development, youth, and gender.
- Facilitating the achievement of programme results by identifying, providing and coordinating substantive and technical inputs into programme development and implementation, ensuring substantive monitoring and oversight and coordinating and evaluating the inputs of consultants and technical experts.
- Promoting knowledge sharing and continuous learning, testing, linking and documenting innovative strategies, approaches, lessons learned and best practices inside and outside UNFPA and replicating these strategies and approaches. Ensuring that programme and operations staff integrate new substantive policies, methodologies and tools (RBM, gender concepts, etc.).
- Mobilizing resources for support to the country programme recommending a strategic approach and encouraging Country Office action. Assisting the Government and other executing agencies in the coordination of assistance for population programmes.
- Representing UNFPA within the UN Area Coordination Team, promoting effective coordination on development and humanitarian issues with integration of population and development, sexual and reproductive health, youth, and gender-based violence issues in strategic frameworks;
- Contributing to the implementation of the CO security strategy and plan in line with UN procedures and requirements;
- Managing the office staff, communicating standards of performance, and assigning responsibilities for achieving results according to the Performance Appraisal and Development (PAD) system;
- Monitoring and analyzing, on a continuous basis, substantive, administrative and financial aspects of the programmes/work plans and proactively facilitating monitoring, evaluation and audit exercises;
- Carrying out any other duties as may be required by the Representative.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related field.
- Knowledge and Experience:
- 7 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of development and population activities, including programme designing, appraising and management.
- Demonstrated ability to refine programme design to ensure alignment of organizational programme objectives to national priorities/capacities.
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to foster engaged partnerships at a high level of representation and to maintain political partnerships.
Fluency in English. Knowledge of written and spoken Somali language is essential.
• Exemplifying integrity
• Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
• Embracing diversity in all its forms
• Embracing change
• Achieving Results
• Being Accountable
• Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
• Thinking analytically and Strategically
• Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
• Communicating for Impact
Advocacy / Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
Leveraging the resources of national Governments and partners / building strategic alliances and partnerships
Delivering results-based programme
Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
Providing strategic focus
Engaging internal/ external partners and stakeholders
Leading, developing and empowering people / creating a culture of performance
Making decisions and exercising judgment
Making decisions and exercising judgment
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the post. The package includes a competitive net salary plus, annual leave, health insurance and other benefits.
WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
APPLY NOW: https://erecruit.partneragencies.org/psc/UNDPP1HRE/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=29757&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1&