Overview of CTG:
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Our client is an implementing partner for the FGOS's national program for the treatment & handling of disengaged combatants & women formerly associated with AS. The national program maintains the objective of establishing a comprehensive process that allows for low risk disengaged combatants & women associated with AS to social & economically reintegrate into society through transition centres in Baidoa & Kismayo. This support includes the provision of basic education, civic education, religious counselling & life skills, business, financial literacy & vocational training.
- Our clients DDR unit is seeking to recruit an experienced Basic Education & Computer Literacy Trainer to provide full time instruction to female beneficiaries in Baidoa & Kimsayo. This position is jointly managed by the South West State of Somalia (SWSS) govt.. / Jubland State (JSS) govt. & our client, with dual reporting requirements.
- Evaluate student literacy & numeracy needs & design curriculum & instruction to teach basic mathematics & reading / writing in Somali to adult learners.
- Develop schemes of work, lesson plans & assessments to monitor & report on student learning needs, progress & achievements.
- Utilize experiential learning methodologies to support adult learning for adults with low literacy.
- Create, update & maintain training materials, manuals, handouts & practice exercises for efficient & effective delivery of the skills.
- Provide a stimulating learning environment & provide additional assistance to students with particular learning needs & abilities, instruct in a manner that develops students' confidence & their abilities, integrate a variety of teaching strategies & curriculum content.
Basic computer literacy & graphic design teaching: Design & deliver a basic computer literacy curriculum based on student needs & learning level which will include:
- Computer literacy.
- Introduction to computers (Microsoft) & internet use (Google).
- Introduction to typing.
- Introduction to Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook).
Carry out any additional responsibilities appropriate to the position.
- This contract receives day to day & week to week oversight from the Administrative Manager (Administrative Assistant) with support from technical staff (Livelihood Team Leader, Education Coordinator) & other staff. Overall contract performance management is jointly monitored & evaluated by our client & the govt. partner.
- Our client will undertake contracting obligations & remuneration in close collaboration with SWSS & JSS MOIS.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education is required or a Higher Degree or recognized professional qualification is preferred.
- Experience of working in South West State & / or Jubaland State is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching basic literacy & numeracy to adults (2+ years) or children (5+ years).
- Experience in teaching learners with diverse needs (e.g. differing literacy levels, people with disabilities).
- Experience in curriculum design & development.
- Prior work experience in South West State / Jubaland regions is highly preferred.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- Practical and theoretical understanding of effective teaching & learning strategies.
- Fluency in Somali (oral & written).
- Fluency in Mai for candidates working in Baidoa.
- Working knowledge of English.
- Respects & promotes individual & cultural differences, encourages diversity & inclusion wherever possible.
- Maintains high ethical standards & acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules & standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent & committed manner & exercises careful judgment in meeting day to day challenges.
- Develops & promotes effective collaboration within & across units to achieve shared goals & optimize results.
- Produces & delivers quality results in a service oriented & timely manner, is action oriented & committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge innovate.
- Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities & assumes responsibility for own action & delegated work.
- Encourages & contributes to clear & open communication, explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring & motivational way.
- Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example & demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision, assists others to realize & develop their potential.
- Creates an atmosphere of trust & an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best & develop their potential.
- Works strategically to realize the organization’s goals & communicates a clear strategic direction.
Other relevant information:
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Preference may be given to qualitied female candidates.
- Candidates applying for this role MUST upload a copy of the recent resume on their candidate profile.