CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
Our client's DRR unit is seeking a skilled Basic Education Trainer providing full time instruction to male beneficiaries in Baidoa. They are an implementing partner for the FGOS's national program for the treatment & handling of disengaged combatants. The program support includes the provision of basic education, civic education, religious counselling, life skills, business development, financial literacy & vocational training.
The Basic Education Trainer will teach basic reading, writing & math. To achieve professional success, the Basic Education Trainer must possess strong knowledge of the subjects & also have an understanding of the fundamental aspects of teaching, including curricula design & effective classroom instruction. The Basic Education Trainer must also have strong communication & interpersonal skills. The Basic Education Trainer will work full time as per Somali labour laws, performing the below duties & responsibilities:
- Prepare & deliver lessons in basic reading, writing & math to male beneficiaries.
- Responsible for teaching adult basic education within the national curriculum framework of Somalia while employing methods geared toward adult learners in a classroom setting.
- Based on the learning needs of the multi skill level students, prepare students to possibly continue basic education lessons in the public schools upon graduation from centre.
- Maintain standardized student assessments & a record keeping system for student progress & attendance.
- Assess, monitor, record & report on the learning needs, progress & achievements of students.
- Collaborate with Social Workers to ensure that student needs are met properly & student progress reports are reviewed periodically to reflect individual progress towards their goals of graduation.
- Prepare reasonable & appropriate assignments in teaching the Somali national textbooks.
- Identify skill gaps for training to tackle current & future problem solving.
This position will be under the administrative oversight of the Baidoa Male Centre Manager, with technical oversight from the Education Coordinator. Overall contract performance management is jointly monitored & evaluated by our client & their govt. partner.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, such as Social Science, Education, Development, or a Diploma in Education.
- Experience of working in the Jubaland State of Somalia is highly preferred.
- At least 2 years of experience in teaching, preferably with low literacy learners.
- Previous experience working with youth at risk & or working on the return & reintegration of at risk groups is a considerable advantage.
- Must be fluent in English & Somali.
- Must be able to adapt lessons for adults with a low literacy level.
- Desirable experience in developing & implementing community based learning projects.
- Must be able to integrate a variety of teaching strategies & curriculum content.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, oral & written communications skills, with keen attention to detail, interpersonal skills & effective communication.
- Respects & promotes individual & cultural differences, encourages diversity & inclusion wherever possible.
- Maintains high ethical standards & acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules & standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, committed manner & exercises careful judgment in meeting day to day challenges.
- Develops & promotes effective collaboration within & across units to achieve shared goals & optimize results.
- Produces & delivers quality results in a service oriented & timely manner, is action oriented & committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge & innovate.
- Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities & assumes responsibility for own action & delegated work.
- Encourages & contributes to clear & open communication, explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring & motivational way.
This role has no team management responsibility.
- Candidates applying for this role MUST upload a copy of their valid Somali passport or valid Somali national ID along with their updated resume on their profiles, candidates who do not uploading these documents on their profile will not be considered further.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.