Bench Worker (BW) at the SRCS Rehabilitation Program, hereafter referred to as the BW is guided by the Red Crescent & Red Cross seven Principles (Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity, Universality) and International Humanitarian Law, as well as the SRCS policy and strategy and procedures as established. The BW’s employment conditions are established and agreed upon separately.
Overall Job Purpose
The BW is an employee of the SRCS Rehabilitation Center, Mogadishu. The position is in the Orthopedic Workshop of the SRCS Rehabilitation Center, which is part of the SRCS Rehabilitation Program for Disabled in Somalia, which again is a part of the Somali Red Crescent Society.
The BW is reporting to the Workshop Leader or Section Leader of his/her particular section or to the one at any time in charge of the section. The BW works in close collaboration with other sections of the workshop, with the Administrator and other departments of the Center.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The BW will in collaboration with his/her Section Leader and Workshop Leader perform following duties:
- Plan the daily activities of his/her position
- Follow the guidelines of the Workshop Leader or ORT and ensure that the time given for his/her activities are kept and deadlines for delivers are met
- Make sure that the quality of the work piece produced by him/her is the best possible
- Ensure careful handling and proper maintenance of all machines and equipment being used by the ORT in the production of orthopedic appliances in the Workshop
- Ensure the tidiness, cleanliness and upkeep of the Orthopedic Workshop
- Maintain close and positive collaboration with other sections of the Center as well as other departments
- Perform other technical duties as instructed by the supervisors
- Give a hand to the section leader any time a technical report needs to be written
- To assist the technician for the manufacturing of the appliances.
- To complete manufacturing of Prosthesis and Orthotics in a certain area.
- Aligns and miters frame part edges, using mitering machine.
- Inserts and tightens screws, nuts, and bolts to assemble parts, using hand tools.
- Performs any combination of following activities to prepare the required items frames for assembly, using bench-mounted machines and hand tools or power tools: Drills or punches holes in frame components, using drill or punch press.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Collect and maintain day to day data regarding the production of orthopedic appliances and report to workshop leader.
- By every 1st every month prepare a report with activities of the last month and all available statistics, this report will go to the workshop leader with copy to the administrator.
- Give a hand to the workshop leader, the administrator and/or the Director any time a technical report needs to written.
- High school graduate or higher equivalent education desired.
- High commitment and ability to work under pressure
- Able to wear personal protective equipment (e.g., face mask, goggles, latex/non-latex gloves) as needed.
- Good communication skills in Somali & English language
- Demonstrating consistency in upholding integrity and ethics
- Team leader with demonstrated mentoring and coaching skills
- Multitasking and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks
- Customer service attitude.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their updated CV, cover letter, and copy of their certificates to: email@example.com
Note: applications which do not meet the above requirements will not be considered. Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted. Please write the position you are applying on the subject line.
Deadline for Applications: March 15, 2021
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.