Business Support Associate, G6 Mogadishu (142736)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide and the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
Why join WFP Somalia?
In Somalia, the World Food Programme provides food assistance for nutrition, livelihoods, and relief through the hard work of more than 500 employees who contribute to make Somalia hunger free in close partnership with local partners.
This role is tasked with coordinating and organizing a wide range of business support services for the Office of the Country Director to ensure that services are delivered effectively. The position will be based in the Management Unit and will report to the Country Director in Mogadishu.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will:
- Provide dedicated executive assistant support to the office of the Country Director, making sure discretion and trustworthiness is applied at all times;
- Engage and liaise with a broad range of partners as directed by the Country Director, including line Government authorities and other government units;
- Support the coordination of meetings, workshops and other events between WFP and government counterparts, humanitarian agencies, and Cooperating Partners;
- Prepare and/or consolidate comprehensive reports, documentation, correspondence, briefing notes, etc. and conduct research in the area of work;
- Actively seek and use feedback to improve business processes and procedures;
- Respond to complex business support queries in order to provide a timely and accurate resolution of enquiries for clients;
- Oversee the maintenance of records and databases to ensure information is organised and readily available as required;
- Revise and review correspondence and documentation, providing feedback and making amendments where appropriate, to contribute to production of these materials on time and quality standards;
- Assess and recommend improvements to procedures and practices, to contribute to the effective delivery of business support services;
- Provide a full range of complex business support services to staff to contribute to the effective functioning of business operations;
- Coordinate tasks of junior colleagues to ensure support services are delivered consistently and to the required standards;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Experience: Six or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Specialised knowledge of the application of common business processes, practical business support methods, procedures and systems used in area of work, gained through technical training and work experience.
- Good communication skills in order to provide specialised business support services to a wide range of individuals;
- Ability to analyse and interpret financial data and monitor budgets;
- Ability to proactively identify and recommend areas for improvement to the design and delivery of specialised services;
- Ability to build relationships with a variety of individuals across functions
- Experience in coordinating the work of others and self and training and supporting others.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Terms and Conditions:
Contract Duration: 1 year (initial)
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.