Civil Engineer - Mogadisho
Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- UNIDO is a specialized agency of the UN. Its mandate is to promote & accelerate sustainable industrial development in developing countries & economies in transition, & work towards improving living conditions in the world’s poorest countries by drawing on its combined global resources & expertise. The Program Development & Technical Cooperation Division (PTC) is responsible for providing technical cooperation services on technological & economic issues covered by UNIDO’s mandate in developing countries & countries with economies in transition.
- The UNIDO Project “Agro Technology Development for Economic Growth in South & Central Somalia”, is designed to support the revival of productive sectors in Central & South Somalia regions by establishing a network of three agrotechnology & enterprise development units to support Somali businesses in starting, rehabilitating & upgrading agroindustrial operations, accessing new technologies, markets & financing facilities.
- The project is expected to support at least 300 existing & perspective entrepreneurs as well as supporting around 600 individuals in starting a microenterprise or finding a skilled employment, as a result of vocational & technical skills trainings delivered by one of the 3 project supported agrotechnology & enterprise development units. Within this framework, an agrotechnology credit facility for Somalia MSMEs has been included within this project to ensure that beneficiaries supported through project activities would have access to an appropriate financing scheme.
- Under the overall supervision of the UNIDO Project Manager (& Representative) based in Mogadishu, the incumbent shall carry out the following duties:
- Assessment of construction needs of MoLSA & MoCI premises for rehabilitation of the buildings.
- Assessment of construction needs for upgradation & new buildings for 16 existing vocational training institutions.
- Prepare ToRs / RFQs for all the construction works to be implemented in next two quarters.
- Technical evaluation of the bids received for construction works.
- Prepare draft contracts for the selected bids.
- Prepare the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for each of the construction activities with timeline.
- Monitor the work schedule & report to the Technical Advisor.
- Provide regular technical advice to the construction vendors.
- Design, rollout & monitor various vocational skills training interventions planned at the project training centers.
- Design upgrading of vocational training centers linked to the project.
- Review, adapt & draft as needed, training syllabi to reflect planned training activities.
- Perform any other task assigned as & when required.
Concrete / measurable outputs to be achieved:
- Construction needs assessment reports.
- ToRs / RFQs / draft contract prepared.
- Monitoring matrix submitted.
- Project activities is implemented in line with project logframe & agreed workplan.
- Vocational training programs as per plan completed.
- This role works under the overall supervision of the UNIDO Project Manager (& Representative) based in Mogadishu.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (essential)
- University Engineering Degree or Technical Trades Diploma.
Technical & functional experience:
- At least 5 years’ experience in in construction related technologies & in fields of practice.
- At least 5 years’ experience working & providing training in construction related vocational training.
- At least 5 years’ experience in Somalia, especially Mogadishu, understanding the context & dynamics of Somalia.
- Experience in undertaking rehabilitation assessments.
- Project implementation experience in Africa, in particular postconflict countries, desirable.
- Strong analytic & problemsolving skills, ability to reason logically, looking at issues from multiple perspectives at a micro & macro level.
- Attention to detail & highlevel of accountability for the quality & timely completion of project reports / documents.
- Proficiency in email, social media, VOIP platforms, digital cameras, GPS, are required skills.
- Knowledge or ability to use CAD software is expected.
- Computer literacy & strong working knowledge of MS Office.
- Fluent in written & spoken English & Somali.
- Respect for diversity.
- Results orientation & accountability.
- Planning & organizing
- Communication & trust.
- Team orientation.
- Client orientation.
- Organizational development & innovation.
Managerial competencies (as applicable):
- Strategy & direction.
- Managing people & performance.
- Judgement & decision making.
- Conflict resolution.
Other relevant information:
- Mogadishu, Somalia with missions authorized separately as required.
- Has to be a Somalian national.
How to apply:
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using the below link: