Job Specific – Joint Police Programme (JPP)
JPP is a Somali owned, Somali led programme with UNOPS being the secretariat. The aim of the JPP is to support the Federal and Federal Member State police develop the police service across Somalia by bringing together donor funding to allocate resources against agreed Somali priorities and build a stronger strategic partnership between the international community and Somali police. The JPP coordinates donor funding, enabling the efficient and effective allocation of resources against agreed Somali priorities. The JPP contributes to a capable and accountable security sector, with full respect for human rights and the rule of law, a crucial element in establishing long-term peace in Somalia.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Communications Senior Officer provides support to the JPP Secretariat and is responsible for implementing the communication strategy and plans that increase exposure of the JPP and participating donors to mobilize public, political, and donor support. He/she ensures strong visibility and positioning of the JPP among the news-media on key issues of concern for the Somali police in accordance with agreed and approved guidelines by the Executive Board. He/she supports the Deputy Programme Manager in liaising with JPP stakeholders, in particular the Federal Government of Somalia, the Federal Member States, and UN communication bureaus on communications and messaging.
The Communications Senior Officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities in support of the JPP Executive Board and the Secretariat.
1. Strategic Communications
- Support the development, implementation, and manage communication, advocacy, and branding action plan for JPP to strengthen communication in support of the JPP strategic goals.
- Provide support to the JPP to boost its visibility and awareness including identification of key stories, content, lessons learned, and achievements;
- Support the Deputy Programme Manager in liaising with the participating donors, FMS, FGS, other UN agencies, and UNOPS communications teams on communications initiatives and messaging.
- Monitor views and perceptions of the various stakeholders, and audiences of the project and make positioning recommendations based on the information gathered. This includes the collection and analysis of website and social media metrics to gauge reach, engagement and other performance measures to inform external visibility and branding strategies and perception surveys for the JPP Executive Board members.
2. Technical communications
- Under the guidance of the Deputy Programme Manager, support the content development, editing, production, and dissemination of communication and marketing materials for the JPP. This may include:
- Newsletters, flyers, brochures, factsheets, information leaflets, press releases, videos, blogs, infographics and tweets for multi-media channels, posters and banners for events in English and Somali;
- Reports, including bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports
- JPP powerpoints presentations, briefs, speeches, and talking points.
- Ensure the quality of translation of JPP documentation to and from Somali.
- Create, maintain and regularly update the JPP website and/or other JPP external communications platforms in English and Somali
- Collaborate and coordinate with external vendors and consultants for visibility and protocol materials
- Coordinate corporate social platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, and Youtube. Design global and local social media campaigns for special events and topics.
- Support the preparation of high priority events with tailored communication and outreach plans including booth set up, coordinating with external vendors related to the event, targeted materials, social media, press, and public relations.
- Undertake and/or organize missions, video shoots, and field trips with media in support of the JPP and its work in accordance with a work plan as approved by the Deputy Programme Manager.
- Ensure consistent branding and visual image on all JPP visibility products.
- Teamwork and effective and efficient management of resources for communications
- Foster teamwork and space for innovation and creative thinking.
- Supervise external consultants and firms on contract (editing, translations, design, and printing) ensuring quality of work and value for money.
- Use of technology and electronic systems and tools to initiate work, share information with colleagues and clients.
- Contributions to UNOPS knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of results
The effective and successful performance of the Communications Senior Officer in the areas of JPP Communications will contribute considerably to the strengthening of existing and future programming and consequently reinforces the visibility and image of the UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice for sustainable development and project services.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Media Technology, Journalism, Graphic Design, Public Information, Political or Social Science, International Relations, Development Studies, or other relevant discipline is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Media Technology, Journalism, Graphic Design, Public Information, Political or Social Science, International Relations, Development Studies or other relevant disciplines with a combination of two (2) additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advance university degree.
- Technical/Professional Diploma in Communications, Media Technology, Journalism, Graphic Design, Public Information, Political or Social Science, International Relations, Development Studies or other relevant disciplines with a combination of four (4) additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advance university degree.
2. Work Experience
- A minimum of two (2) years’ work experience in a communication-focused role is required.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud applications, in particular Adobe Design, is required.
- Experience with online communications and social media is an asset
- Experience /knowledge of Google Suite is an asset.
- Work experience in developing / post-conflict countries is desirable
- Work experience in the East Africa region is desirable.
3. Language Requirements:
- Fluency in written and spoken English Language is required
- Fluency in both written and oral Somali is an asset.
How to apply
The applicant should use the below link to apply online