About the role: This is a new 1 year, unaccompanied position based in Mogadishu, with trips to project construction sites within Somalia. The salary is grade 4 (€41,603 - €46,226).
You will report to the Programme Director, and you will directly line manage 1 Deputy Construction Manager based in Mogadishu.
You will work especially closely alongside the Education Programme Manager and his team. You will also work closely with Logistics & Transport Manager, Systems Director, HQ Construction Technical Advisors and Consultants, Consortium and Government counterparts, Finance team, WASH & Construction Coordinator, Education and Partnership Advisors, Deputy PD–Programme Quality, Grants & Information Manager.
We would like you to start in March 2021
Purpose: This role is responsible for providing expert technical leadership, management oversight and coordination of Concern’s civil construction and rehabilitation works portfolio within the Education sector programming throughout Somalia. You will line manage a national Deputy Construction Manager who in turn manages a team of construction site engineers.
You will ensure technical structural quality of designs, lead contracting (together with Logistics) and manage construction contractors for efficient and effective coordination and implementation of construction works to the highest standards of quality and accountability.
You will represent Concern at external meetings e.g. with Contractors, Government line ministries, Grant Agents, and peer implementing agencies.
Construction Project Management:
Design of appropriate and quality constructions:
- Lead on needs- and technical assessments for planned construction activities, and subsequent development of quality construction designs and BoQs, with inputs from Deputy Construction Manager and in collaboration with Education Deputy/PM.
- Ensure all construction designs reflect a sound understanding of end user needs, i.e. are suitable and accessible for all targeted population including people living with a disability, women and girls.
- Supported by Deputy Construction Manager, ensure compliance with all relevant Government regulations and industry standards and guidelines, and with SPHERE Standards.
- Proactively liaise and closely coordinate with the SAL Engineering Advisor and Emergency Engineering Manager (Surge) for design reviews and approvals plus any technical support required.
Implementation Oversight & Quality Assurance:
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate the construction and rehabilitation of Education sector construction works, specifically a Teacher Training Institute and classroom constructions and rehabilitations, ensuring adherence to quality standards, work designs, and technical specifications.
- Ensure all safety and security measures are in place and are followed by the staff and the contractors on site.
- Conduct regular meetings with Deputy Construction Manager and his/her team, as well as works contractors, to remain updated on progress towards agreed implementation milestones, challenges encountered and proposed solutions, and overall work activity. Document, file and appropriately share minutes of such meetings.
- Lead development of a monitoring and quality control system to ensure accountable and timely implementation and achievement of works by Contractors, e.g. through daily, weekly and/or monthly tracking reports, checklists and spot-checks of resource and equipment mobilisation to site, construction activity progress and output milestones.
- Support Deputy Construction Manager in implementation of the above system, including through training of and monitoring quality control of the system and tools’ use by Concern’s site supervisory team.
- Discuss timely with the Education Programme Manager and construction team regarding any deviances from workplan or other issues for remedial and proactive measures to be taken to meet schedules.
- Engage in other construction works (eg Resilience or Emergency) at request of Line Manager in coordination with the WASH & Construction Coordinator.
Procurement and Contract Management:
- Collaborate with Logistics Manager and relevant colleagues in contractor procurements and contracting, ensuring timely start of processes per project work plans agreed with Programme Manager.
- Together with Logistics, lead preparation of all documentation (tendering and contract) related to procurement of works and services contracts.
- Provide timely expert inputs to (joint) Procurement Committees.
- Ensure an accessible filing systems for electronic and hard copies of all documents pertaining to the project.
Documentation and Reporting
- Ensure appropriate documentation and recording of all site supervisory visits and meetings, sharing reports timely with the Education Manager (plus Programme Director and Systems Director as relevant) to facilitate timely informed decision making and efficient information flows.
- Provide prompt updates to relevant focal persons (Education Manager, Security Focal Point, Programme Director) concerning any security or administration related challenges encountered, reflecting inputs from Deputy Construction Coordinator and his/her team.
- Support production of quality reports (narrative, financial and logistical) on project construction works, through provision of timely and accurate inputs.
- Ensure timely and quality collection, documentation and sharing of project documents including GPS mapping, contract documents, process and outcome monitoring data for tracking and reporting purposes.
- Document good practices and success stories for learning and sharing.
- Ensure appropriate visibility per, donor, key stakeholder and internal requirements
Coordination and Representation
- Liaise with national and local level Ministries and authorities for appropriate and well-informed coordination, in collaboration with Education PM.
- Ensure effective coordination and collaboration with key stakeholders (Contractor, Government Representatives, Community Leads, other agencies implementing in the area/sector) for non-duplication of efforts etc.
- Represent Concern in relevant forums and meetings organised by the Ministry, Grant Agent or Donor.
Staff Management and Capacity Building
- Line manage the Deputy Construction Manager based in Mogadishu; establish performance objectives and conduct Performance and Development Review (PDR) on annual basis.
- Identify capacity-building needs for direct and indirect reports, and lead development and roll out of a plan for addressing those needs.
- Provide technical guidance and transfer technical knowledge and advice to the Construction team, as relevant in collaboration with WASH & Construction Coordinator.
- As relevant, collaborate with local partners to support and build capacity to oversee quality and accountable construction project implementation.
- Support development, documentation and roll out of written protocols, operating procedures and training materials to continually strengthen Concern’s construction sector interventions.
- Ensure direct and indirect reports are aware of and support their adherence to Safety and Security protocols as well as other key Concern policies, raising relevant concerns and issues timely to management.
- Support recruitment of new staff in the Construction team per need.
- Actively participate in collective development of new projects, including but not limited to evaluations and surveys.
- Ensure the highest stands of accountability through ensuring good communication and information sharing within and outside the programme and enabling staff, beneficiary and other stakeholder participation at all stages of the project cycle.
- Collaborate effectively as a senior member of the broader team, contributing expertise and experience to support continual development and learning from Concern’s portfolio.
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the line manager, including appropriate involvement in any emergency response if called upon to do so.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Civil/Building Construction Engineering (or Bachelor’s degree with 10 years hands on experience in the construction industry).
- At least 2 years international experience in a complex operational and insecure context.
- At least 5 years hands-on experience in Project Management of construction activities.
- Working experience in the design of infrastructure particularly school buildings/training institutes, infrastructure and utilities, water supply.
- Ability to conduct a detailed structural appraisal, development of tender documentation to include bills of quantities, technical specifications, draft contracts, drawings, structural designs and plans.
- Significant experience managing works contracts in complex operational contexts.
- Working knowledge of Auto CAD, structural analysis software and other construction software along with GIS mapping is a must.
- Strong ability to oversee multiple construction contracts in parallel.
- Working experience of SPHERE Standards and understanding of key Accountability principles (CHS).
- Experience in use of project management software, e.g. Microsoft Project or other.
- Strong skills and experience in project planning, monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong report writing abilities in the English language.
- Demonstrable skills in budget development and expenditure monitoring.
- Experience in staff management and capacity building.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Understanding of safety and security context and considerations in Somalia.
- Demonstrated understanding of Somalia context that govern construction activities, e.g. building code, mandatory certifications and other regulations.
- Past experience in construction of school and education institutes will be a considerable advantage.
Desirable Skills, Aptitude & Personality Traits:
- Strong interpersonal, motivational, communication and coordination skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to spend prolonged periods in Mogadishu and travel regularly for programme meetings and to undertake site visits depending on security clearance (staying in comfortable but basic accommodation).
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working effectively collaborative with colleagues from different backgrounds.
- Excellent coaching, facilitation and capacity-building skills.
- Willingness to learn and adapt to changing needs and operational contexts, based on understanding of on-the-ground realities, constraints and opportunities.
- Empathy with Concern Worldwide goals and a commitment, accountability, participation and gender equality.