Overview of position
Since 2008, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in close partnership with the governments, United Nations (UN), and non-governmental organizations (NGOs), has been addressing a range of critical emergency humanitarian situations in Somalia. Since 2016, IOM’s Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) has been tracking and analysing human mobility in different displacement contexts, in a continuous manner
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Operations and Administrative Assistant, and the overall supervision of the DTM Programme Manager, the incumbent is expected to perform the following duties:
- Support in the recruitment, deployment and training of enumerators and senior enumerators;
- Assist in the coordination of data collection exercises at region and district level remotely or by traveling to the relevant locations;
- Monitor and report on the day to day data collection and any other activities related to DTM;
- Ensure all data are kept safe and confidential applying IOM’s data protection principles;
- Coordinate DTM activities with region and district authorities and NGOs/UN agencies as requested by the Senior Operations and Administrative Assistant;
- Monitor/report to IOM management any security incidents and ensure DTM data collection activities abide by security regulations;
- With inputs from the Information Management Officer, provide regular feedback to enumerators and senior enumerators on the quality of data collected;
- Verify the quality of the information collected by flow monitoring enumerators, compile and ensure data is transferred in due time.
- Conduct data entry on the collected information on flow monitoring into the given data entry template or through the assigned mobile application in the case of mobile data collection being used.
- Support in the planning of field data collection activities by providing input in terms of logistics, schedule and security;
- Ensure timely collection of administrative documents such as attendance sheets and vehicle logsheets for processing
Perform such other duties as may be assigned
To the Information Management Officer
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
This position does not have team management responsibility
- Experience in using ODK or KOBO or any mobile application which is used to collect data;
- Good knowledge of data collection techniques, including surveys, key informant interviews, focus group discussions;
- Experience conducting training and supervising enumerators / data collection exercises;
- Experience liaising with government authorities and other stakeholders;
- Good knowledge of Somalia states, regions and districts is an advantage.
- Must be available to travel within Somalia on a regular basis.
- Managerial and, organizational skills, accuracy, ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Excellent operational, organizational and communication skills and the ability to work harmoniously with other colleagues from diverse backgrounds;
- Strong computer background, including experience with Microsoft applications, spreadsheets, and word processing.
- Computer literate in MS office applications – Word, Excel, Outlook and Database applications.
- Ability to work in challenging settings, under pressure while respecting tight deadlines;
- Capacity to learn and gain new competencies, while accepting/giving constructive criticism
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.