Overview of position
Our clients DDRR program is a key component of their peacebuilding & stabilization portfolio that aims to increase Somalia’s resilience to destabilizing conditions & build national capacity towards sustained peace. The program aims to contribute to peace & improved security in Somalia through supporting the FGS's national program on the treatment & handling of disengaged combatants & youth at risk (national program). The client is recruiting a Consultant to improve and support the education curriculum at four Transition Centre's and five Community Based Organizations (CBOs) in Somalia and assess the current gaps in programming and case worker capacity at the centres. The Consultant will develop the capacity of teachers and other staff at the centres, CBOs and government counterparts to implement the programme and report on progress.
This is a full-time position, based in Mogadishu, with frequent travel to Kismayo & Baidoa. The specific tasks include:
- Provide technical supervision to Centers’ Education Team leads. Provide on-the-job training for basic education teachers, religious and civic educations teachers. Conduct training of Teachers on the knowledge & practical implementation of content, evaluation tools & teaching methodologies to ensure that Teachers are provided with regular opportunities for staying up to date with skills, knowledge & qualifications as appropriate.
- Maintain standardized students’ assessments & record keeping system for student progress & attendance. In coordination with the teachers, ensure that student case files are maintained properly & student progress reports is reviewed periodic to reflect overall training program achievements.
- Build on & continue to improve existing education curriculums & conduct review of the curriculums based on beneficiaries’ feedback for 1) Basic Education 2) Religious Counselling 3) Civic Education, every 6 months while assessing relevance of content & tangible benefits of training as needed in accordance with theoretical & practical teaching.
- Ensure teaching materials are gender-responsive. Advocate for women’s needs and raise awareness on gender equality & women’s rights through teaching.
- Continue to improve teaching methodologies; Introduce interactive e-learning platforms for both students & Teachers for professional development. Create, update & maintain relevant training materials, PowerPoint presentations, training manuals, handouts, practice exercises & administrative documentation.
- Support the DDRR Project Officers to identify synergies among the education, case management and livelihood programs. Provide input to the livelihood courses and coordinate with the livelihood team as necessary. Make recommendations about how to best deliver content to beneficiaries including the most effective training strategies, methodologies & tools.
- Promote a culture of best professional practice in learning, teaching & assessment to ensure the development of quality & effectiveness in the curriculum.
- Carry out at least two visits per month to the site in order to provide inputs to improve M&E.
- Hold meetings with teachers to discuss key issues on training, instruction & proposed changes.
- Meet with educational service providers such as employers, state representatives, TVET Directors & representatives in community councils &/or boards that advise or are consulted by relevant authorities on issues related to educational & livelihood outcomes such as:
- Practical content.
- Examination requirements.
- Qualifications delivered to beneficiaries.
- Competence to be gained in the program.
- Accreditation given to beneficiaries.
- Sectors/Occupations in which practical vocational training is available.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
This position will be under the technical supervision of Project Officer (Women Peace and Security) and the administrative supervision of Project Officer (DDRR).
• Master’s Degree in Education.
EXPERIENCE Geographical experience: • Minimum of 7 year of experience in Africa (essential).
Experience: • A minimum of seven years of experience in education, with substantial experience in developing & rolling out training curriculum's. • Proved experience in working with adults with low literacy skills. • Knowledge of religious education and gender programme. • High level of computer literacy (MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook). • Excellent communication skills
This position has team management responsibility.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS MUST UPLOAD THEIR CV AND PASSPORT COPY IN THEIR ONLINE APPLICATION PROFILES This position is open for Somali Nationals and Somali Diaspora.