NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across seven countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of delegated Shelter project activities.
Candidates can apply online by going through the " VACANCIES" link at www.nrc.no Email or Paper applications will not be considered.
Duties and responsibilities
- Line management of Education CC project field staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to CC strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of CC projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from PM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to AM
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- In close collaboration with the Area Manager and with technical support of the Education Technical Specialist, expand, develop, manage and implement the NRC’s Education projects in Puntland and all IDP camps and relevant villages according to strategy, proposals and plans.
- Manage and monitor project finance and budget; maintain strong control on budgets ensuring spending within available resources and in compliance with donor and NRC grant management guidelines
- Develop proposals for maintenance and expansion of education project. This includes taking lead and participates in actual Education and YEP design, inception and implementation.
- Ensure the quality, direction and consistency of ABE and YEP.
- In close collaboration with M&E Officer, ensures that lessons learnt and success stories from the programme are effectively documented and shared.
- Liaise with field education authorities and stake holders to ensure effective coordination, implementation, and monitoring of education programme.
- Represent NRC education in cluster and other education related meetings in the region and in the field
- Ensure that detailed annual work plans and budget for all ABE and YEP activities are prepared in a coordinated and timely manner
- B.Sc./BA degree in Educational planning and management, Educational leadership and any other related field.
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experiences in areas of Educational leadership and any other related jobs with humanitarian /development NGO’s
- Experience from working as an Education Project Coordinator in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in (Puntland)
- Knowledge and experience in the sector
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
We can offer
- Contract period: 2.5 months with possibility of extension.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
- Duty station: Garowe with frequent travel to the fields
- Travel: 40%
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organisational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.