Electrical Engineer SC8, Garowe (146161)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
In Somalia, the World Food Programme provides food assistance for nutrition, livelihoods, and relief through the hard work of more than 500 employees who contribute to make Somalia hunger free in close partnership with local partners.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Electrical Engineer shall report directly to the WFP Lead Engineer and ultimately to the Head of Administration with the following generic duties:
- Undertake electrical pre-surveys and Energy audits on WFP facilities and offices. Assist in developing guidance and standards for upgrading of existing WFP premises and new buildings;
- Conduct remote and onsite assessments of the electrical distribution system in WFP premises and assist in the preparation of scope of works and tender documents, project bills of quantities (BoQs), cost estimates and developing work specifications for the implementation of the works.
- Undertake electro-mechanical designs, layouts and details in engineering CAD software, participate in designs, design reviews, reading and interpreting of technical drawings, proposals, specifications, schematics.
- Carry out and coordinate electrical works in field locations, including installation/commissioning installation of electrical distribution systems, water treatment plants, hydroponic agricultural systems/modules, thermal controlled warehouses (TCU), Cold rooms and power sources.
- Participate in the Design Installation and commissioning of Heat, Ventilation and Air conditioning (HVAC) systems and assist in regular maintenance.
- Participate in design, installation and commissioning of firefighting system, fire detectors, alarm system, Hose reel pumps and assist in regular maintenance.
- As delegated by the Project Engineer, provide oversight of technical quality, schedules, and budget, as required; Monitor safety performance of construction contractor, address contractual issues,
- Conduct site inspections, approval works and reporting.
- Assist in planning and implementation of the project including the use of engineering survey equipment and appropriate technology to deliver the project within schedule
- Oversee compliance to WFP & Construction Manual requirements, guidelines and prevailing industry standards.
- Preparation of Engineer’s Valuations, Payment Certificates.
- Assist the Engineer with cost control throughout the project; preparation of financial appraisals during the construction stages of the project to keep the Project Managers appraised on the financial valuations and anticipated final accounts.
- Maintain projects master database including budgets and schedules for design and construction project, including appropriate documentation to support full project life cycle.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Electrical and/or Mechanical Engineering.
Experience: At least three years of experience in Electro-Mechanical Engineering. Experience in design and construction of building and infrastructure-type projects.
Languages: Proficiency in oral and written communication in Somali and English is a must.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience in renewable energy and green technology & energy efficiency (waste, water, electrical).
- Experience working with typical FIDIC Contracts packages.
- Proven experience in construction contracts management.
- Experience using AutoCAD and common Engineering CAD Packages including construction projects scheduling tools such as with Primavera Project Planner and Ms. Project Scheduling software.
- Knowledge and ability to use engineering survey equipment.
Terms and Conditions:
Contract Duration: 1 year (initial)
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.