Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MOECHE)
Terms of Reference (ToR) for Education Management Information System (EMIS) Software Development – Assistant Programmer
I. General Information
Education Management Information System (EMIS) Software Development – Assistant Programmer
EMIS Technical Advisor
Planning & Policy Department
One year (fixed)
II. Background Information
Somalia is currently striving towards regaining its economic development, social inclusion and state building to ensure an improved sustained quality of life to the current and future generation. From that perspective, the Ministry of Education Culture and Higher Education of Somalia on institutional measures to better enable the role and value of education in empowering Somali citizens and developing its people and the country. The rebuilding of the education system and improving service delivery is of pertinence to the Somali population. The government is currently making numerous efforts with strengthening the capacities of education institutions and systems to support continued progress to achieving SDG 4 education targets. As the result, the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education of Somalia is currently seeking an EMIS Software Development an Assistant Programmer. The Assistant Programmer will work with an EMIS Expert and a Senior programmer.
III. Position Summary
The MOECHE EMIS Software Development Assistant Programmer will assist the development of a new web based EMIS Software under the guidance of an EMIS software development expert.
IV. Key deliverables (Measurable results)
- Assist development of an Integrated EMIS database for offline/online data entry that has capabilities to promptly provide inquiry based education statistics and indicators for information-based planning, decision making, monitoring and evaluation.
- Assist development of flexibility mechanisms in database design to adapt/accept the changes in data that may be required in operating the system.
- Assist development of EMIS software that is capable of decentralization, integration and expansion up to school level.
- Assist development of full features of EMIS including:
- Reporting mechanisms on periodical basis (daily, monthly, annually).
- Provide user-friendly, computer-based, online/offline data entry/access, inquiry, and reporting facilities.
- Provide an option of first entering the data off-line (and storing locally), and uploading the data to the central database later directly from the local files (e.g., MS Excel, PDF data entry forms that can be uploaded to the web-based data entry system).
- Provide options of downloading the entered data from university/campuses in different formats such as SQL server, pivot table etc.
- Capable of capturing, classifying and reporting the most common key education indicators including:
- Demand side: Gross enrollment ratio (primary), Net Enrollment ratio (primary), Gross intake, Net intake rate and percentage of new entrants to primary grade 1.
- Supply side: Percentage of primary qualified school teachers, Percentage of certified primary school teachers and Student/teacher ratio.
- Outcome indicators: Repetition rates by grade, Survival rate to grade 5 and Coefficient of efficiency.
- Provide tools for basic data analysis (such as producing summary statistics, simple graphs, trend plots, etc.)
- Maintain individual personnel information (e.g. students, teachers, staffs etc.), by providing online/offline electronic data form and keep track of those personnel.
- Provide flexibility to add/delete/modify attributes to data records.
- Ability to import/export data from/to other databases software such as MS- Excel (pivot table), SPSS SQL.
- Ability to generate two types of tables: Pre-defined tables -the fixed indicator-based tables defined by ministry to prepare EMIS report. User defined tables are tables created by the system based on user queries, which are available in the system.
This incumbent will work under the supervision of the EMIS Technical Advisor.
VI. Key Qualifications
Key requirements for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- General experience in software development for at least 3 years
- Demonstrates hands on experience of leading development of relevant software applications.
- Fluency in Somali and English languages.
- Knowledge and experience in using MS-SQL database, JAVA etc.;
- Applicant should have a strong background in systems design and implementation (modelling and documentation).
- Knowledge of education statistics and indicators is desirable.
- Must have willingness to travel and work in a challenging environment.
VII. Core Values & Critical Key Competencies
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to evaluate and propose strategic options;
- Ability to think critically and strategically in difficult conditions to diplomatically challenge the status quo and encourage shared ownership of outcomes;
- Commitment to ensuring that knowledge transfer and capacity building is central in the work;
- Excellent interpersonal communication, relationship building and networking skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines in a conflict environment;
- Familiar with poor-resource and low-capacity contexts, and experience in a capacity development programmes.
- Respect, Integrity, Commitment, Diversity, Stress Tolerance, Excellence and Building Partnerships.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to send their CVs and academic certificates with cover letter as a single document to the email address: email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org by 10:00am, 20 Aug 2019 indicating “P136 Application for EMIS Software Development –Assistant Programmer” as subject line. Late applications will not be considered.