Finance and Administrative Assistant - G6 (DC)
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade.
The International Labour Organization (ILO) Country Office Addis Ababa covers five countries: Ethiopia, Somalia, Djibouti, South Sudan and Sudan. Additional support is provided by the Decent Work Technical Team based in Cairo, Egypt; ILO`s Regional Office for Africa and global technical backstopping units at the headquarters.
The ILO support for Somalia is articulated in the Draft Somalia Decent Work Country Programme (DWCP 2017-2019), which is aligned to the National Development Plan (NDP 2017-2019). As part of the implementation of the NDP (2017-2019) and to contribute towards achievement of the goal of decent work for all women and men, and attainment of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the ILO will implement a project, funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), with two thematic focuses in the Somali region: renewable energy and women’s economic empowerment.
This project seeks to address two complementary challenges to Somalia’s development: barriers to women’s full economic empowerment; and lack of access to affordable, renewably-sourced energy. Expanding access to energy in the country has the potential to increase the productivity and competitiveness of Somali women and men run/owned businesses, contribute to alleviating poverty (both of which could lead to increased investment), improve health and education outcomes, and bolster security. Women’s Economic Empowerment gives women the independence, confidence, and ability to transform their lives. There is a direct correlation between improvements in health, education, peace, and security and the eventual success of women entrepreneurs to catalyse change within their regions, clans, towns, and families. Developing women’s economic empowerment and renewable energy is critical in building wealth, creating jobs, and unleashing the potential for innovation that attracts investment and helps every nation develop.
The ILO seeks to recruit the services of a Finance and Administrative Assistant (FAA) – to support the PPDP Technical Officer to manage the implementation of the ILO Project on “PPDP for Renewable Energy Skills Training and Women’s Economic Development in Somalia”.
Under the overall responsibility of the Director of Country Office Addis Ababa, the Finance and Administrative Assistant (FAA) will work under the guidance and the technical supervision of the Technical Officer in charge of the PPDP project in Mogadishu, and in collaboration with the Finance Unit of the CO-Addis Ababa and the ILO Regional Office for Africa. S/he will perform the following duties:
Description of Duties
- Establish a financial management system for the project based on the financial policy of the International Labour Organization; and maintain financial documents for the project in orderly manner,
- Compile, monitor and revise yearly specific budgets for the project with the supervision of the Project Manager; produce financial reports that show the details of project expenditures against budgets on a quarterly basis for purposes of monitoring and proper planning;
- Regularly monitor project delivery and produce relevant reports, and prepare clear, user-friendly spreadsheets, reports and/or other supporting documentation.
- Check and record financial transactions from multiple project budget lines for accuracy, and do the same for external & internal payment authorizations;
- Organize data and information, and prepare and maintain records, documents and control systems for the monitoring and evaluation of the project;
- Assist in issuing of external collaboration contracts and service contracts; and Organize workshops, trainings and meetings;
- Advise the Project Manager in all aspects of accounts and financial control procedures in order to ensure strict compliance with ILO financial rules and regulations, as per guidance from the Financial Department of the ILO Regional Office for Africa;
- Make the Project Manager aware of any financial/funding problems that may impact on the programme reaching its objectives; Meet financial requests in a timely manner allowing for processing times;
- Assist in providing responses in respect of accounting and audit queries that may be raised by the Donors, the verification unit of the Africa Regional Office and ILO HQ, related to accounting and/or financial transactions of the programme (see additional duties in section below)
optional section (if needed)
- In line with ILO Procurement Rules, Requisition office supplies and equipment locally and abroad, and arrange for control of distribution and maintenance of inventory records;
- Make travel arrangements, hotel reservations and prepare travel authorization forms;
- According to ILO's rules, ensure discharge of financial responsibilities for the projects contractual obligations to third parties and carry out specific operational and control tasks for project implementation
- Perform other financial or administrative duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Completion of secondary school education, plus formal training in accounting and/or finance from a recognized commercial school or equivalent.
Six years of progressively responsible experience in Finance and administration.
Excellent command of English and Good knowledge of Somali.
- Extensive knowledge in appropriate software such MS including Excel and Word processing.
- Extensive knowledge of financial rules regulation and accounting principles.
- Extensive knowledge of standard administrative procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to create and maintain electronic and paper filing systems.
- Ability to produce clear financial reports.
- Demonstrated analytical skills, high standards of ethical conduct including confidentiality, accuracy and attention to details.
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of operations in an UN organization would be an advantage
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable but not selected for this position can also be offered to be assigned on another temporary position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
Click here: https://jobs.ilo.org/job/Mogadishu-Finance-and-Administrative-Assistant-G6-%28DC%29/633916501/