Finance Assistant (Treasury Assistant)– 2 Positions
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the
leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental,
intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer and the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer the successful candidate will be responsible for providing effective and efficient administrative support to Resource Management Unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate funding requirement with all offices in Somalia and Somalia Support Office, in Nairobi, Kenya and prepare monthly comprehensive funding request for IOM Somalia office and send the funding requests to IOM Manila.
- Continuously monitor the funding status of the IOM Somalia offices to ensure
sufficiency of available funds.
- Record outgoing payments from vendor and incoming receipts from customer, post outgoing payments to bank GL, effect down payments to vendors in PRISM and make sure timely updates are maintained in the system.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
- Review staff vendor accounts for outstanding travel expense claims (TEC’s) and initiate follow up with the concerned staff members as well as compute and process the TEC’s.
- Prepare and follow up on accounts receivables for invoices to UN agencies participating in the Bossaso UNCC compound and SPU arrangement in which IOM is coordinating.
- Carryout the payment “Input” phase in Citi direct, the online banking system for all outgoing payments and ensure accuracy and completeness in the details input for verification.
- Receive and review cash payments and receipts from the cashier for coding in the Mission’s cash journals.
- Review accounting returns from the field offices in Somalia on a monthly basis and check for completeness, accuracy and eligibility of costs with subsequent preparation of accounts review reports.
- Extract, prepare and distribute monthly financial reports of all active projects to the project managers upon central accounts close by the Accounting Office (ACO).
- Assist the Resource Management Officer in creating of projects in PRISM; sharing the budget creation package for project activation, monitoring expenditure on budget line items and initiate follow up action on variances in coordination with the SFA and RMO.
- Prepare and submit Mission Payment Requests (MPR), follow up with Manila Treasury Services (MTS) on their settlement, monitor vendor accounts for settlement as well as respond to enquiries by MTS.
- Regularly update and maintain the mission’s bank signatory panel to its bank accounts held with financial institutions operated by the Mission.
- Regularly assess the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the established internal controls and procedures with proposals on practical and value-added recommendations to address control weaknesses and/or process inefficiencies brought to the attention of the Resource Management Officer and Senior Finance Assistant.
- Conduct receipt and check book audits as prepared by the cashier for consistency, accountability of voided receipts and reconciliation with transactions in PRISM.
- Perform month end closure processes and assist in the preparation and dispatch of monthly accounting returns package to be sent to the Regional Accounting Focal as well as help the Senior Finance Assistant with responding to the Mission’s Periodic Checklist Review.
- Create and maintain filling systems financial instructions and documents for ease of reference and ensure all vouchers are paid stamped before filling.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliation statements and month end closure process.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.Required Qualifications and Experience
• Three years of working experience with Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or any other related field. Certification in CPA II or more will be an added advantage; or
• Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
• Particular experience in computerized accounting systems (SAP).
• Qualified CPA or ACCA or equivalent qualification is highly desirable.
• Experience in finance and / Accounting is required.
• Knowledge of IOM internal procurement and financial rules is an advantage.
Fluency in English and Somalia is required.Required Competencies
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: pproduces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
From 10.09.2019 to 24.09.2019