Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is currently looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player for the post WASH Officer - Engineer based in Bossaso, Somalia.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
NRC in Somalia
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions.
NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, the recruitment process and start date may be delayed. Nevertheless, we encourage qualified candidates to apply and we will inform shortlisted applicants of any changes as the process evolves. Thank you for your understanding.
Duties and responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Record all cash movements and undertake periodic cash counts
- Assist in bank accounts and cashboxes reconciliations
- Follow up on advances and refunds
- Prepare and arrange for bank withdrawals and transfers and present for verification
- Verify all invoices, vouchers and receipts and supporting documents and enter in the system as appropriate
- Make all approved payments
- Maintain accurate financial and accounting files and transactions
- Send monthly reports to the Nairobi office
- Assist in preparation of financial reports, budgets and budget monitoring for projects
- Any other assignment as may be required by the Line Manager
- Diploma in Finance and Accounting or any related discipline.
- Certified Public Accountant level II
- Diploma with Minimum of 3 years and Degree with 2 years relevant experience.
- Experience working as Finance in a humanitarian/recovery context
Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of English and local Language-Somali
- Knowledge of the context in Puntland Somalia is an essential
- Experience of working with INGO in a similar capacity will be an added advantage
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present complex technical information
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Team work
- Cultural awareness and experience of working of different stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Accurate and keen to detail
We can offer
Contract period: 4 months, extension depends on performance and fund availability.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Bossaso
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been
involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct
and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!!!