NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across nine countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Role Specific Information
The role of the Finance Intern is to maintain accurate financial records, manage and ensure proper filling in finance department documentations to ensure efficient and effect document control and prepare in accurate / ideal manner in Kismayo Office.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Duties and responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Compliance and adherence to the organisational set policies and internal controls
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Ensure proper files are maintained and well secured in the Finance Department to enable a complete audit trail.
- Assist filling payment vouchers and Stamp all paid payments on daily or weekly bases.
- Retrieval and scanning of Audit samples requested from Country Office in Mogadishu.
- Ensure that all finance files are complete and pre-numbered before it’s archived.
- Scanning Juba land finance documents and upload into the NRC filling Tree on monthly bases.
- Prepare the Petty cash payments and upload data on daily basis and share with the Finance Coordinator for further review
- Ensuring prior approval from Area manager and send cash to the field and other requests and ensures receipt of remittances
- Preparation of cash advances and subsequent follow up and ensure timely clearance of outstanding advances and inform Finance Coordinator on long standing advances regularly.
- Maintain petty cash balances and advice Finance Coordinator when there is need for cash replenishment.
- Carry out weekly, monthly and spot cash counts with Finance Coordinator or Area Manager in reconciliation with to the actual balances.
- Make sure that cash management thresholds and cash hours are followed all the time
- Keep custody for the cash in hand in the cash box and perform physical checks all the time.
- Help Finance team to sort out the day to day financial payments and to make sure all supporting documents as per checklist are available and attached properly.
- To prepare the various record in MS excel , update Payment register, and Photocopying of signed cheques etc.
- Assist in routine filing system in Office365.
- Perform any other related duties as required and assigned by the line manager.
- Minimum Diploma in Business Administration, Finance & Accounting.
- Minimum 1 year previous experience working in Finance /accounting field
- Experience working in a humanitarian and volatile context.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities Knowledge about own skills/profile
- Knowledge of English is a mandatory
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector is an advantage
- A strong administrative service orientation
- Keen sense of compliance with policy and procedure
- Personal conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Ability to keep up to date with modern trends in technology and match this with internal specifics
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
We can offer
Contract period: 2 Months (with possibility of extension)
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kismayo
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.