Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The Finance Officer will provide financial support to Adeso’s programs in Somalia. Based in Garowe/Baidoa, the staff will be a full-time member of the Adeso Team, playing a crucial role in providing finance support for the team. The position holder will principally work with the finance Team on day-to-day basis under the direct supervision of the Senior Finance Officer, with l working relation with the Finance team in Nairobi. The Finance Officer is responsible for all aspects of supporting the team in financial management, ensuring compliance with Adeso’s internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations.
The main purpose of the position is to provide technical support in the Accounting process through financial reporting and internal control management.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Finance and Accounting
- Provide accounting support to the project and management team while ensuring compliance with internal controls, donor regulations and budget restrictions;
- Record accounting transactions including coding of payment vouchers before making payments and ensure an efficient, proper and transparent financial filing system of all documents (e.g. monthly payment of bills, contracts, rent and local salaries)related to finance are maintained;
- Prepare and examine accounting records, financial statements and other financial reports and ensure accuracy, completeness and conformance to reporting and procedural standards;
- Make sure that proper filing systems are put in place for audit trail. This includes the correct labeling and the arrangement of vouchers into the files showing pre-numbered reference numbers. Responsible that all the files are up to date for good internal controls.
- Assist the Senior finance officer in collating cash requests and monitor the cash and bank balances to be minimum balances at all times.
- Reconciling Bank, Cash, Advance and Control Accounts in the system for every month for the Galkacyo office before the month end closure.
- Plan for cash flow requirements for the project and submit updated cash forecast and monthly cash requests to the project accountant on a timely basis;
- Process and make payments as provided in the approved budget;
- Ensure timely recovery of all advances including travel and mid-month advances and provide monthly update of any outstanding advances to the finance officer;
- Assist with facilitation of internal and external audit procedures as required.
- Review bank reconciliations and ensure they are prepared each month per finance procedures.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration supplemented by professional courses in Finance/Accounting or any other related field.
- Two years of progressively responsible work experience at professional level in finance and office administration.
- Good writing and communication skills with supervisory ability.
- Ability to establish harmonious working relations in an international and multicultural environment.
- Must have good level of spoken and written Somali language.
- Good level of spoken and written English.
- Analytical skills and negotiating skills.
- Willingness to travel to remote field locations.
- Ability to work independently and work collaboratively as part of a team in a challenging and a highly fluid environment.
- Demonstrated attentions to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and cooperatively with team members are required.
- Basic knowledge in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets and power point.
- Ability to live and work in an isolated area in conditions of limited comfort.
- High degree of cultural sensitivity.
- Knowledge of English language and the local working language of the duty station is a requirement.
How to apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to email@example.com , quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 5th November 2020.
Each application should be addressed to HR and include the following:
- An updated CV with updated contact details: Phone No., Email Address and Skype ID; and
- An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one's background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.