Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia since May 1992. Currently, AAH is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security, livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
The Positions and responsibilities:
AAH Somalia is looking for a suitable Somali national to fill the position of Finance Officer based in Mogadishu- Somalia.
Ensure the mission’s treasury management and accounting is inconsistent with AAH financial management framework.
Mission 1: High quality accounting for the mission
- Ensure the implementation of internal control processes in accordance with internal financial procedures
- Ensure timely dissemination of information about accounting procedures throughout the mission and ensuring they are observed.
- Sort and vouch accounting documents to ensure they are in accordance with required policies, procedures, guidelines, and compliance with donor rules and regulations.
- Timely and accurate recording of all financial transactions in SAGA to be in line with organizational policies; donor requirements; and deadlines.
- Process necessary financial reports and budget records as required.
- Ensure effective management for records as required for auditing.
Mission 2: Manage payables of the AAH Somalia Mission
- Manage all payables in either petty cash or through bank i.e. bank payments
- Check and review the accuracy of all bills and Invoices before payment. Ensure that all relevant supporting documents have been attached to the invoice and comply with AAH procedures as well as donors and government rules and regulations.
- Ensure Payable/Payments are done on timely manner.
- Payments or funds are released based on relevant and approved documents.
- Translate accounting documents as needed ;
- Work with HR on monthly payroll and payments to ensure timely payments.
- Ensure statutory deductions are deducted and deposited as per government rules and regulations.
- Manage Secondary petty cash and ensure all transactions are processed and recorded in accordance with the approved Cash Management policy
- Close the cash account every month: physical counting, printing of accounting documents, check supporting documents ;
- Process approved cash advances
- Process all field transfers
Mission 3: Ensure high-quality cash management
- Ensure Somalia Mission does comply with cash management procedures on all work that relates to cash management.
- Monitoring of the petty cash and bank balances to ensure sufficient funds are always available depending on the program needs.
- Cooperate with Finance specialist or assigned person for spot check or specific day cash counts.
- Advise Finance coordinator or Finance Specialist on anticipating any treasury risks and resolving difficulties.
- Maintain a good working relationship with bankers.
- Closely monitor the trend of Bank accounts, minimum 3 days or weekly, and report immediately to Finance Coordinator on any unusual trend or unknown transactions.
- Manage list of bank signatories. Monitor addition and deletion of signatories.
Mission 4: Support the bases’ accounting and payables
- Organise and check the timely receipt of the bases’ monthly accounting
- Check accounting document information, including consistency between vouches and cash books, physical counting and balances ;
- Check the bases’ electronic accounting consistency: accounting codes, project codes, budget lines, titles ;
- Check and ensure invoice eligibility;
- Check accounting voucher submissions (translation, numbering, layout) ;
- Suggest amendments to be made in the event of errors;
- Request additional information from the bases, as needed ;
- Carry out and communicate each month’s field feedback for base accountancies and ensure follow-up (both on Electronic and Paper accountancies)
- Liaise with Field Finance staff for accountancy difficulties and doubts
- Ensure base payables are paid in a timely manner.
Mission 5: Ensure consistent follow up of Budgetary control
- Maintain updated information on active budgets.
- Process payment based on an appropriate financial line. Be aware of closed contracts and exhausted budget lines.
- Before payment of bills or Invoice confirm the availability of funds through updated BFU.
Mission 6: Prevent and manage fraud and corruption
- Identify any risks of fraud and corruption in daily operations in Somalia.
- Immediately alerting the Finance Coordinator to cases of fraud and corruption and undertaking corrective action.
- Recommend to Finance Coordinator on day-to-to control of fraud or corruption.
Qualifications/Skills & Experience.
- University degree in business or finance, or the equivalent.
- Professional qualification in Accounting or Finance would add an advantage.
Skills & Experience.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in finance and accounting.
- Skills in MS Office (especially MS Excel)
- Able to work autonomously
- Proactive; Professionalism, Good interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills (both oral and written).
How to apply
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 3rd March, 2020 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. Finance Officer -Mogadishu.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.