CARE International is a humanitarian aid organization fighting global poverty, with a particular focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organization, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development projects and providing emergency relief. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities.
The Finance Officer is responsible for the financial management of GPE Program funds through the Treasury Single Account (TSA) of Ministry of Finance, This TOR has been developed as a guidance for the objectives, scope, of performing the Finance Officer position, this position will support the accounting and safeguarding the funds under TSA account, as well as the coordination of GPE Finance staff and Project focal points at FGS and FMS. He will work very closely with the Federal Ministry of Finance, Federal Ministry of Education, Central Bank, Auditor General, FMS Miniseries of education Jubaland, Galmudug, Hirshabelle and South West States of Somalia. He will support the Ministry of Education on the planning, development and implementation of an effective and transparent accounting, budgeting and financial planning system and auditing within the MoECHE. Also, this position will support the project audit processes both internal and external Audit. **The finance officer will 50% of his/her time be based in the ministry of the education. ****
2. ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
2.1 Financial Management
2.2 Grant Reporting and Financial Analysis
- Oversee the transparency of the financial processes and the use of funds through TSA in compliance with grant Agents Financial guidelines.
- Liaise with Ministry of Finance on payments processing, conduct daily follow ups and fast track payments release.
- Prepare monthly partner liquidations and Budget monitoring reports
- Adhere proper bookkeeping and monthly bank reconciliations
- Regularly follow up FMS MOEs to submit fund requests on time
- Ensure timely preparation of monthly financial reports from federal and FMS states.
- Timely review of Cash positions for the project to ensure the sufficient funds on the bank for disbursements.
- Advice and train FMS finance officers on proper record keeping, financial liquidation tools and fraud prevention.
- Prepare planning, expenditures tracking of financial resources in accordance with Grant agents’ policies and GPE rules and regulations.
- Prepare payment vouchers and other payment processing documents and submit to MOF for processing.
- Coordinate the grant agents with MOF and Central bank on financial issues.
- Maintaining the internal controls over all financial processes ensuring an efficient financial follow process
- Establish financial procedures: eg: - Bookkeeping, filing procedures, and disbursement.
- Review submitted financial documents from FMS MOEs and provide feedback.
- Provide recommendations for compliance with Government (public) financial procedures.
- Establish and maintain regular contact with the MoECHE, and FMS States MOE
- Contribute to the development of work plans and budgets for effective implementations
- Maintain Contract File and ensure that this is accurate in terms of contract start and dates and all other important information.
- Support in the review of Activity budget codes regularly and as well as any necessary amendments as may be required.
2.4 Internal & external Audit
- Support the award & Sub award manager in the preparation detailed BVAs and share with the budget holders for discussion.
- Support the awards & Sub awards manager in preparation of budget revisions and project forecasts.
- Support the Awards & Sub awards manager in providing the required information to Internal and external auditors.
- Record any adjustments/incorrect coding/booking of transactions that may be picked during monthly BVAs reviews.
- Support in the monitoring of actual expenses against budgets
2.5 Partner Staff Capacity Building
- Participate in planning of Project Specific Audits both Internal and external.
- Assist in coordinating the retrieving of Audit documents as per the Audit Samples
- Review Audit samples before sharing with the Auditors; ensure all documents are completely supported and where necessary initiate follow ups with relevant staff for compliance/ as per the policies
3. Key Relationships
- Prepare MOECHE sub grant financial reports, burn rate, and initiate advances and liquidations requests
- Provide technical support to MOECHE and FMS MOEs in the area of financial management
- Support the awards & Sub awards Manager in conducting (continuing refresher) training to MOECHE and FMS MOEs staff to ensure all award terms and conditions are understood and implemented properly.
- Support the awards & Sub awards Manager in developing partners’ capacity building plans and overseeing progress against these plans.
4. Requirements and Minimum Education Level
- Reports directly to the awards & Sub awards Manager.
- Support the awards & Sub awards Manager in providing guidance to the GPE partners (MoECHE) and staff.
- Ministry of Finance (Budget Director, Accountant General, EAFS Director) Central bank (Director of Operations and Cashiers) Auditor General (Director of Treasury), MOECHE (Director General, Director of Admin & Finance, Technical Advisors) Federal Member States Ministries of Education (Jubaland, South West, Hirshabelle, Galmudug and Banadir Regional Administration).
- Partners, other Support staff & Program staff.
- Bachelors’ degree in Business administration, Commerce, Finance/accounting option
- At least 2 years of Financial Management/accounting experience in International NGO
- Must be familiar with local context
- Must be Somali National.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office including advanced expertise in Excel; and
- Understanding of key donors such EU, USAID, GPE, etc. is an added advantage
- Thorough understanding of financial accounting, reporting and grants and contract management processes
- Good understanding of relevant donor policies & procedures
- Good experience in conducting training sessions for small and medium sized groups.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and financial software applications
- Communicating; Initiating Action; Managing Performance for Success; Planning and Organizing.
- Excellent writing skills
- Time Management
- Good understanding of donors’ compliance and Audit Requirements, Financial Accounting.