Head of Area Office - Garowe (Open to Somali Nationals only)
UNDP Somalia’s programme in development is comprised of four main portfolios; Effective Institutions and Economic Development; Inclusive Politics; Resilience and Climate Change; and Rule of Law. The implementation of the programme is supported by Area Offices that have been established by UNDP in Garowe for Puntland and in Hargeisa for Somaliland.
The Head of Area Office performs designated functions under the overall and direct supervision of the Resident Representative in a matrix management with the Deputy Resident Representative for Programme—for programmatic and strategic portfolio management responsibilities—and the Deputy Resident Representative for Operations—for operations and common services responsibilities.
The results of the work of the Head of Area Office greatly affects the standing and reputation of the UNDP in Puntlad. When requested by the Resident Representative, the Head of Area Office represents UNDP in national and international forums, liaises with external clients and a broad range of constituencies and UNDP counterparts in the Government, local and international media, civil society as well as counterparts from other international organizations. Within delegated authority, the Head of Area Office acts as the overseer of UNDP’s programme in Puntland, maintaining a coherent dialogue between all parties involved, supporting timely and effective delivery of the UNDP Programme, and providing a proactive response by UNDP to changes in the programming and operational environment.
III. Duties and Responsibilities
1) Area Office Management
• Ensures the smooth running of the Area Office, including good management and supervision of staff;
• Is responsible and accountable for the appropriate use and management of resources attributed to the Office and has oversight of the programme resources for the geographic area;
• Promotes teamwork, collaboration and synergies within their office, among the project teams and with the Portfolio units at the Country Office level;
• Supervises any Programme Specialist (POQA) and the Operations Manager directly, who serve as oversight and quality assurance focal point for Programme implementation at the AO and Operations teams respectively, with matrixed oversight of project staff, for project delivery and operation management.
• Ensures that the office is managed in accordance with UNDP policies and practices in relation to gender, environmental sustainability, as well as protection against sexual exploitation and abuse.
2) Representation and coordination
• Represents UNDP in the geographic area, and in various fora as requested by the Resident Representative.
• In collaboration with the Office of the Resident/Humanitarian Coordinator and the Head of Office of UNSOM - based in Garowe, provides coordination support to UN Agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and national authorities through the establishment of wider consultation processes and appropriate fora to enhance coordination between humanitarian and development partners, thus strengthening the links between relief, early recovery and development activities.
• Ensures proper coordination and inputs to inter-agency initiatives, and the other international partners.
• Maintains collaboration and coordination with the other Heads of Area Offices to ensure programmatic integration, sharing of lessons and best practices, economies of scales, etc.
• Maintains regular contact with counterparts and implementing partners in their geographic area.
• Provides support to overall resource mobilization efforts of the Country Office in close collaboration with Portfolio Managers at the CO level.
3) Programme Development, Strategic Analysis, Planning and Advice
• Responsible for the collaborative yearly planning process for the UNDP Programme in the geographic area, together with counterparts.
• In close consultation with the Resident Representative, Deputy Resident Representative for Programme and the relevant Portfolio Managers at the Country Office level, identifies strategic direction and new programmatic activities for the area, and contributes to programme design.
• Supports the Resident Representative and the Deputy Resident Representative for Programme, national counterparts and other aid partners on policies and strategies to adequately respond to emerging development challenges and needs in the geographic area.
• Based on monitoring and analysis of the development situation, provides advice on programmatic responses to the gaps and deficits in these areas.
• Ensures identification and promotion of joint planning and programming opportunities with other parts of the UN system in Puntland.
• Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned for organizational sharing and learning.
4) Coordination of Programme Implementation
• Under general supervision of, and in close collaboration with the Deputy Resident Representative for Programme, leads the UNDP Programme and supports the attainment of expected results in the geographic area of responsibility.
• Coordinates the implementation of programmes based on continuous monitoring and analysis of the development needs, response capacities, operational environment and applicable security considerations in the geographic area of responsibility.
• Coordinate day-to-day project management with the project staff on the ground, with particular attention to delivery of the annual/work plans approved by the Project Board.
• In coordination with the Programme Specialist (POQA) assigned to the geographic area, ensures effective application of RBM tools, monitors Area Office related work plans, programme effectiveness and achievement of results.
• Ensure implementation of HACT Assurance activities at the area office level including spot checks, third-party monitoring, financial audit and programme verification.
• Ensures the integrity of financial system and directly oversees the administrative, financial and budgetary aspects of Programme delivery in its geographical area and advises the Deputy Resident Representative – Operations accordingly.
• Supports capacity-building of national counterparts.
• Performs any other related task assigned by the supervisors.
5) Operational Management
• Provides leadership in overseeing of effective provision of services to counterparts in the area, including fair and transparent procurement, efficient logistics and sound financial management as well as the consistent application of UNDP rules and regulations.
• Oversees management of common services provision at the multi-agency UN Common Compound (UNCC), including advising on cost sharing arrangements.
• Works closely with UNDSS to ensure the security of UNDP Staff and premises, in particular supports the implementation of MOSS compliance of the UNCC.
• Is responsible for approval of payments up to an agreed upon level (Level 2 Approving Manager in Atlas).
IV. Competencies and Selection Criteria
V. Recruitment Qualifications
• Minimum of seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in recovery and development affairs, crisis response and prevention, or other related area.
• Experience in crisis or post conflict countries.
• Experience in management of offices of similar size and complexity, including operational management responsibilities.
• Previous experience with UNDP and good knowledge of UNDP programmatic work, rules and procedures is required.
• Experience in working in development in the regional area meritorious.
• Strong diplomatic skills in handling counterpart relations.
English and Somali. Other official language of the UN will be desirable.
How to apply:
Applications to be submitted online at: