Overview of position
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is one of the major humanitarian and development actors in Somalia. IOM implements primary healthcare activities in Hiraan region of Hirshabelle State, and is recruiting a Health Programme Assistant based ina Belet Weyne Town to provide operational and technical support and daily management of mobile medical teams and static clinics in Belet Weyne district and neighboring areas in Hiraan region.
Under the overall supervision of the Health Programme Coordinator and direct supervision of the Senior Health Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical and operational support to IOM’s health programming in Belet Weyne and surrounding areas, including quality control of healthcare services at IOM-supported clinics, capacity building of seconded Ministry of Health clinical staff, administrative and financial support to enable programme implementation, and liaising with Ministry of Health and other government counterparts.
· Senior Health Officer
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values - All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
· This role does not require any team management.
• Degree in nursing, public health, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience; or
• Diploma in the above fields with five years of relevant professional experience.
• Nursing and/or medical doctor registration/license
• A minimum of three years of experience working in emergency and/or community development in an aid organization in Somalia and/or with Somali migrants and mobile populations.
• Experience with an international organization is an advantage.
• Good level of computer literacy (MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Experience in capacity building of health workers in clinical service provision.
• Ability to work independently with limited day-to-day operational support
• Experience in effectively liaising with government and local authorities.
• Experience in project management and start-up of new projects is an advantage.
• Experience in monitoring and evaluation of project performance is an advantage
• Experience in humanitarian programmes for migrants and IDPs is an advantage
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using this link: