HR/Admin Officer - Country Office (Open to Somali nationals only)
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across nine countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
Role Specific Information
The purpose of the Country HR/Admin officer position is day to day implementation of the delegated support functions responsibilities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Ensure that the NRC office is in compliance with all administrative legal requirements i.e. taxes, government registrations and licenses in the area of operation
- Responsible for welcoming visitors to the NRC office, and direct them accordingly
- Supervise Admin assistant, cleaners, cooks and gardeners and ensure order and cleanliness of the office/guesthouse area
- Responsible for timely settlement of utility bills. (e.g. electricity, water, phone) and make sure they are paid on time. Update and monitor tenancy and other agreements to ensure these are up-to-date at all times.
- Implement NRC Terms and Conditions of service, policies, and procedures.
- Supervise the maintenance of the office and the office compound in collaboration with the Admin assistant and logistics department.
- Responsibly for arranging for visitor’s visas making travel arrangements, booking of flights and hotel accommodation for staff, consultant and other visitors
- Responsible for all administrative matters: including maintenance of confidential documents, filing, typing, updating of phone lists, keeping adequate stationery supplies and maintaining inventory of office equipment, furniture and fittings
- Provide administrative support to the office of Country Director, Head of Programme and Head of Support
- Fulfil any other related duties as instructed.
- Help HR Manager in the maintenance of an effective, efficient and up to date staff records and filing system including contracts, leave, medical, archiving, etc.
- Ensure provision, awareness and practical advice to all staff on the NRC HR policies and procedures, and their adherence to them
- Coordinate clearance of staff separating from the organization including exit interviews
- Ensure maintenance of an effective, efficient and up to date staff records and filing system including contracts, leave, timesheet, medical, awards, discipline, online archiving, etc
- Plan, track and advise on the staff performance management and appraisal calendar and content
- Develop annual HR plans i.e. recruitment, capacity building (training plans) and leave plans in collaboration with Heads of Departments and ensure their implementation.
- Ensure HR audit findings and recommendations are implemented
- Any other tasks assigned by line manager
- Bachelor degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or relevant fields
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience within the humanitarian field
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Professional knowledge of Human Resource Management
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Wide knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector
- A strong administrative service orientation
- Keen sense of compliance with policy and procedure
- Good employer-employee contract negotiation skills
- Personal conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Strong organizational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Basic employee counselling skills
- Highly confidential
- Good computer application skills
We can offer
Contract period: one year – with possibility of extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Mogadishu
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.