Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development, and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
Oxfam Novib Somalia / Somaliland is looking for a
Humanitarian Funding Coordinator
Deadline for applications:22 September 2020
Duty station: Hargeisa, Somalia
Type of appointment: Fixed-term Contract, till 31 March 2020
Work schedule: Full-time (40 hours per week)
Type of Posting: Single Posting
Salary & Scale: € 3.162,= to € 4.865 / Oxfam Novib’s scale 709 ( Int Grading C1)
Start date: as soon as possible
To mobilize resources for the implementation of Oxfam’s Country Strategy (OCS) in Somalia and increase the impact of Oxfam on the lives of men and women facing poverty and injustice. To develop and maintain excellent relations with institutional and non-institutional donors and ensure the quality of Oxfam’s project in Somalia.
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
This position is aimed at leading on the planning, coordination, securing and management of restricted and unrestricted funds to enable Oxfam to deliver the humanitarian response in Somalia, including developing and maintaining good relationships with donors and effectively leading and supporting proposal and report development.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Strategy / Planning / Representation
- Establish, maintain and implement an up-to-date funding strategy for the response.
- Identify, assess, prioritise and approach donors, funding sources or other affiliates using internal tools and processes and represent Oxfam as required with donors.
- Assist with research into humanitarian donor intelligence gathering and trends to feed into engagement with donors Co-ordinate donor visits and coordinate responses to any reasonable requests from funding affiliates and governing bodies.
- Develop materials showcasing Oxfam’s humanitarian work in Somalia that could feed into track record building.
- Coordination and information sharing/management.
- Ensure overall co-ordination of funding of the response; regularly update the funding grid and share with relevant actors.
- Ensure that funding files, both electronic and paper, are complete and kept up to date.
- Track income, request payments from donors and any necessary follow-up, process repayments and obtain any donor approvals, in line with Oxfam’s Institutional Funding Guidelines.
- Lead or support the development and submission of high-quality concept notes and proposals.
- Work effectively with colleagues in other functions, partner organisations, and affiliates to develop joint funding proposals.
Contract management / Managing (un)restricted funding
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements; analyse and provide advice to staff and partners on the funding policies and requirements of different donors, ensure reports are of good quality and submitted on time; seek advice and input from affiliate HQ (donor leads).
- Ensure sign-off of donor proposals, reports and contracts according to agreed Oxfam procedures.
- Ensure optimal use of unrestricted funds and efficient use of restricted funds through strategic recharging to donor contracts where possible.
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Solid track record of experience of planning for, securing and managing funds from institutional donors, such as DFID, ECHO, SIDA, DFAT, GAC, GFFO, OFDA and UN.
- Extensive experience of writing high quality proposals and reports.
- Ability to represent Oxfam to donors and other external institutions.
- Sound understanding of Program Cycle Management in emergencies.
- High level of numeracy, budgeting, financial reporting and IT skills.
- Highly developed influencing skills; strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to work effectively with others in diverse team situations to achieve fundraising targets.
- Ability to manage time effectively and adapt priorities to respond to changing demands and tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in written and oral English.
- Existing understanding of Oxfam’s fundraising and contract management system and procedures (desirable).
Key Behavioural Competences
We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organisation We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear, and consider different preferences.
We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity
We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organisational decisions and actions.
Strategic Thinking & Judgment
We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.
We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.
We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support. We give more freedom and demonstrate belief and trust, underpinned with appropriate support.
WHAT WE OFFER
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 709 with a salary range between € 3.162,= to € 4.865 gross per month.
How to apply
If you are interested please use the apply button. Your application must be received by 22 September 2020** at the latest. Please note that only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This vacancy is posted both internally and externally at the same time, however with equal suitability, the internal candidate is preferred. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment
Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us. We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation. People of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colours, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
*Acquisition on the occasion of this vacancy is not appreciated**.*