Hygiene Promoters (7 positions) - Open to Somali National only specially for Jowhar Residents
Islamic Relief Somalia (IRS) has been operating in Somalia since 2006 and has responded to conflict and drought affected people through provision of life saving assistance. Through our projects, IR has continuously been providing safe drinking water, improving hygienic sanitation facilities, increasing hygiene awareness, particularly to ones living in IDP camps; empowering the urban poor and distressed working children, engaging in conflict management and mitigation and strengthening of community cohesiveness and co-existence.
The overall purpose of the position is to contribute to health improvement though improved, access to sustainable WASH services to host communities in JOWHAR district. This will be achieved:
- By working with and supporting the project officer in carrying out WASH assessments,
- Hygiene promotion, monitoring, of hygiene and sanitation situation.
- Help plan and carryout activities with the community to reduce WASH-related risks.
- Conduct home visiting to inform and motivate families to improve their hygiene living conditions when required.
- Conduct hygiene promotion sessions within communities, schools, health and nutrition centers.
- Keep daily record of Islamic Relief material used in the field
- Collect and record data on routine activities and share with Supervisor
- Participate in gathering of data during needs assessments, baseline survey and other Assessments.
- Act as a link between the community leaders, the community and other stakeholders in the area.
- Support in the distribution of NFI/Hygiene kit
- Support and monitor water trucking activities by ensuring that each beneficiary have received their entitlements
- Keep proper records of all water delivered and maintain the daily water monitor sheets Inculcate good behavior change communication.
- Help identify key hygiene practices to be addressed and participate in carrying out Appropriate activities to promote safe practices through;
- Support to water committees, sanitation committees and other community Groups.
- Participation in organizing and carrying out hygiene promotion and campaigns
- Participation in community based solid waste management initiatives.
- Act as a link between the community and the organization.
- Act as a link between the Organization and the beneficiaries.
- Mobilize the community to participate in the project and encourage all groups .
- Develop contacts with community leaders and key stakeholders to explain and promote the project.
Participate in the project
- Ensure timely completion of project activities according to the weekly and monthly Plans.
- Be a good steward by ensuring that project materials and resources are used effectively.
- Ensure that WASH activities are integrated with other activities for optimum benefit of the beneficiaries.
- Ensure that cross cutting issues such as protection, gender, environment, HIV are addresses and mainstreamed in the project.
- Ensure that the vulnerable people also benefit from the project.
- Diploma / Level of studies: Basic education or equivalent training/experience in related field, familiarity with different hygiene education activities.
- Prior knowledge/training/experience on Health, hygiene, community development
- Strong communication skills.
- Good listening skills.
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different groups in the community
- Numeric, literacy and record keeping skills
- Speak/understand/write local language.
- Other duties may be assigned as the Supervisor may deem fit for the benefit of the project.
The hygiene promoters will be based 100% at the duty station.(JOWHAR)
How to Apply
IRW Somalia Program is inviting applications from qualified/Motivated candidates who are interested to submit their CVs and cover letters explaining, how they meet Job description.
- Each application should be addressed to the HR account: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- An updated CV; and · An application letter
- Academic Qualifications (certificates/Transcripts)
- Copy of your Somali National ID card or passport.
- And contact information for three work-related referees.
- Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IRW is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: Please make sure the job title in the mail subject line is clear as a Hygiene Promoter - Jowhar