ICLA Paralegal - Kismayo
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is currently looking for a paralegal to be based in Kismayo. The paralegal will work with the Information and Counselling Assistance (ICLA) team to provide quality information and counselling to beneficiaries and, through this work, better understand the protection situation for the communities affected. The paralegal will assist with providing ICLA services in the community as outreach throughout the working area, as organized by the ICLA team.
NRC has an established Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) project for displaced Somalis in Somalia. NRC is now in the process of strengthening its ICLA project to address Housing, Land and Property rights. The paralegal will reach out to displaced Somali families at risk of and affected by HLP rights violations in and around the areas in Jubbaland. NRC seeks to provide information and counselling services relating to access to services; documentation and other related matters. NRC also aims to strengthen the understanding of any protection and legal issues faced by those displaced and, in coordination with other actors, identify ways to address these issues.
The paralegal is expected to represent Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in a respectful and professional manner and always act in accordance with the NRC Code of Conduct.
NRC in Somalia;
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu,Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance torefugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland,South Central and Jubbaland regions.
NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need,addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, andwater, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies throughNRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods,WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
Duties and responsibilities
In coordination with the ICLA team in Jubaland the paralegal:
- Engage in extensive community outreach and monitoring exercises within selected settlements to identify, report and refer cases in line with ICLA project objectives.
- The paralegal is responsible for preparing accurate, honest, and timely reports of their individual activities. In particular, this includes maintaining signed records of the engagement and activities with the community.
- The paralegal is also encouraged to prepare written reports of the results of their activities, assessments and observations.
- Assist with provision of information and counselling for beneficiaries in the community through extensive outreach work in and around settlements, including throughout the working area.
- Conduct individual and group information sessions as outreach ICLA services with identified communities throughout the working area.
- Identify cases and document Housing, Land and Property cases.
- Assist with preparation of outreach work and materials.
- Assist in conducting and preparing mapping of relevant services being provided and updating it on a weekly basis.
- Assist in preparing for and conducting regular assessments (including focus group discussions, interviews, questionnaires, etc.).
- Assist with provision of general group information sessions.
- Assist with using clear and strong referral mechanisms with counterparts in other organizations/agencies (national and international).
- Assist with planning work on weekly and monthly basis.
- Contribute to preparation of relevant documents (including brochures, information notes, information board updates) for target communities.
- Understand and be able to explain to others work of NRC core competencies.
- Work closely and coordinate with other NRC staff at field level.
- Receive technical input from ICLA Jubaland area office team.
- Work cooperatively with the beneficiaries and other relevant stakeholders to strengthen the project.
- Assist with monitoring and following-up on the quality of services provided at the community/settlements and as outreach.
- Report weekly & monthly (or more often, if required) on activities and results to the relevant NRC ICLA staff.
- Carry out administrative tasks as agreed upon.
- Perform any other task as assigned by NRC management.
- Diploma of Law or equivalent
- Experience in community outreach.
- Experience working in a legal environment.
- Experience in community sensitization/mobilization.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills.
- Experience in case management and documentation.
- Experience delivering legal projects in insecure environments.
- A good understanding of the court and legal system in Somalia.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and team working skills.
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential.
- Good English Language level.
- Knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector is a plus.
- Team player & flexible
- Delivering working tasks in a structured and professional manner.
- Meeting deadlines.
- Applying to the NRC standards, policies and guidelines.
- Adapting and coping to change.
- Communication with impact and respect.
We can offer
Contract period: 8 months.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kismayo
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.