Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is currently looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player for the post ICT Assistant - based in Garowe, Somalia.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
NRC in Somalia
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions.
NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, the recruitment process and start date may be delayed. Nevertheless, we encourage qualified candidates to apply and we will inform shortlisted applicants of any changes as the process evolves. Thank you for your understanding.
Duties and responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Assist with the implementation of the support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Provide help desk support to all users on IT issues.
- Ensure all staff adhere to ICT related guidelines, procedures and standards
- Maintain regular contact with the IT Officer in Mogadishu office for feedback and support on the performance of the network operations to ensure optimum performance
- Undertake regular backup of office data and keep securely outside office
- Provide ICT technical support to the Puntland field offices to ensure respective network optimum performance
- Provide hardware and software support to all program equipment, servers, computers, laptops etc.
- Schedule regular computer-related service, maintenance and license renewals
- Update the data disaster recovery plan and implement when appropriate
- Define, deploy and maintain system security for shared services
- Maintain protection services (anti-viruses and firewalls) for the entire office setup
- Trouble shoot NRC mailing system problems, and ensure smooth running of general office mail
- Setup internet connectivity for all staff as well as visitors Capacity build staff on current and new ICT systems
Diploma in Information Technology or related field.
Minimum of 2-3 years relevant work experience.
Demonstrate proficiency in providing user support for all typical office ICT specially LAN/WAN/VSAT/Wireless technologies, Cisco Switches & Routers
Good communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to keep up to date with modern trends in technology and match this with internal specifics
Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
Hands on experience in server installations and configurations
Ability to analyze, troubleshoot, support and implement technical solutions at all levels
Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
Knowledge of English and local Language-Somali
Knowledge of the context in Somalia is an essential
Experience of working with INGO in a similar capacity will be an added advantage
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present complex technical information
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Team work
- Cultural awareness and experience of working of different stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Accurate and keen to detail
We can offer
Contract period: 3.5 months, extension depends on performance and fund availability.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Garowe
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been
involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct
and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable .
QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!!!