IT Operations Assistant SC5, Dolow (145695)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide and the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates only. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Area Office and overall supervision of the ICT Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Install, configure and maintain standard WFP computer hardware and software systems and networks;
Diagnose hardware and software problems and replace defective components;
- Provide Service Desk support, logging and troubleshooting problems as they arise, updating the
knowledge base and recommending long term solutions;
- Support standard WFP desktop and smart phone applications including email, Internet, and chat
systems; support special or locally developed applications;
- Support conferencing services including setting up teleconference, video teleconference, and
- Provide remote support to WFP Area Offices and conduct field missions when required;
- Plan, schedule and perform data backups and disaster recovery operations;
- Perform LAN administration including maintaining network infrastructure, diagnosing and
troubleshooting cabling, switches, routers and network-attached devices; Maintain implemented
network security measures in order to protect data, software, and hardware; Ensure the LAN
documentation is up to date;
- Perform system administration including installing, configuring, maintaining, diagnosing and
troubleshooting servers; Administer and maintain network services including WFP global AD, DHCP,
DNS and Network Shares;
- Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or
software requirements related to such changes; Suggest improvements to methods and processes in
order to support the continuous improvement of IT services;
- Install, configure and maintain virtualization systems including VMWare, Hyper V and N-Computing;
- support the development of standard materials such as training documentation and web content on
behalf of senior officers, to ensure staff have access to required information about IT services and
- Maintain and update custom Corporate web pages for WFP Somalia including SharePoint site, IT
Communities profile and GLASS dashboard; Update documentation and user and technical manuals
- Follow set emergency response processes and procedures as required to provide support in enabling
emergency food assistance needs to be met;
- Perform other related duties as required by WFP Somalia.
Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in Information and Communication Technology supplemented with Server, Networking and ITIL certifications.
At least Four years of progressively responsible work experience in the implementation and maintenance of computer information systems or related areas. Basic training and/or experience in standard WFP Beneficiary and Transfers Management systems. General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proven knowledge and ability to effectively use basic software packages and commonly used office equipment. General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations, and procedures governing ICT services. Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision. Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals. Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention
- Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff
- Knowledge of IT service desk tools and operational procedures is advantageous.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
For this vacancy, priority consideration will be given to qualified internal candidates.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Contract Duration: 1 year
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.