The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The World Food Programme Somalia activities include relief assistance, safety-net support including school feeding, nutrition programmes and livelihood support through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers and capacity strengthening.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates. Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the technical supervision of the IT Operations Officer and overall supervision of the Head of Area Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Design and manage deployment of Information Technology and Telecommunications systems including budgeting and planning in accordance with WFP corporate standards;
- Integrate Information Technology and Telecommunications systems and ensure appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network issues;
- Maintain, upgrade or enhance existing systems including troubleshooting and support the repair and maintenance of Information Technology and Telecommunications equipment;
- Develop and maintain appropriate Information Technology and Telecommunications contingency plan. Contribute to the preparation and regular update of contingency plans. Periodically monitor the management of risks and report on any actions taken;
- Prepare operational plans and identify resource requirements at the onset of an emergency operation;
- Research, analyze, test and evaluate new technologies and make recommendations for their deployment;
- Develop technical specifications needed to facilitate procurement of Telecommunications/IT equipment and services at the least cost possible and in keeping with rules and regulations stipulated in Non-Food Procurement Manual;
- Configure and deploy Telephony, VSAT, satellite, and radio communication systems as well as LAN, WLAN and WAN technologies;
- Establish control systems to ensure that all telecommunications equipment is in proper working order;
- Ensure effective coordination with other UN agencies in order to maximize possibilities of inter- agency collaboration in Information Technology and Telecommunications services ;
- Ensure optimal performance of the emergency communications systems in accordance to the MOSS standards;
- Manage and maintain the High Frequency (HF) / Very High Frequency (VHF) call signs and Selective Call (SELCALL) systems;
- Perform other duties as required by the supervisor.
Education: University degree in Electronic or Communications Engineering, Computer Science or Information Technology supplemented with VSAT, Telephony, Radio Communication, Satellite telecommunication and Computer networking certifications is a must.
Experience: At least three years of postgraduate responsible professional experience in the field of Information Technology and Telecommunications.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Practical knowledge and experience in setting up of VSAT, emergency telecoms, HF/VHF telecommunication, and telephony systems installation;
- Extensive knowledge of wired and wireless computer networks;
- Demonstrated experience in managing technology projects
- Experience in managing teams;
- Ability to write quality reports and policy documents;
- Courtesy and tact in dealing with a wide with a variety of people.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through E-Recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Terms and Conditions:
Contract Duration: 1 year (initial)
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.