Islamic Relief Somalia (IRS) has been operating in Somalia since 2006 and has responded to c onflict and drought affected people through provision of life saving assistance. Through our projects, IR has continuously been providing safe drinking water, improving hygienic sanitation facilities, increasing hygiene awareness, particularly to ones living in IDP camps; empowering the urban poor and distressed working children, engaging in conflict management and mitigation and strengthening of community cohesiveness and co-existence.
The Livelihoods Assistant will facilitate project activities including local economic development and community visioning for stakeholders, including local business,communities, government bodies and non-profit organizations. Key roles include– community sensitization on project activities and objectives as detailed below, community mobilization, beneficiary selection and registration,facilitate community meetings, facilitate formation of project committees, facilitate the planning, implementation, and routine monitoring of project activities as well as follow-up of the project grantees, various assessments initiated by the project and evaluation of the economic impact of the funded initiatives. The Livelihoods Assistant will at the same time promote IR’s values through various entry points in the project and preserve staff moral and enthusiasm for the project work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Develop a strategic and operational plan for orphan programme in consultation with Child Welfare Coordinator, ensuring it conforms to the project.
· Plan and implement all project activities as per the approved proposal and IR’s policies and procedures.
· Develop and maintain close working relationships with the community leaders and the local authorities in the project area.
· Mobilize communities in the project area in the planning, implementation and monitoring of the project.
· Promote community participation through establishment of community linkages that recognize positive contribution to program interventions.
· Regular update all project monitoring tools while keeping accurate records of the same time.
· Responsible for the identification, selection and registration of all project beneficiaries based on the approved criteria.
· Closely monitor grants disbursement to project beneficiaries as well as the performance of grant recipients.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIORS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently,achieving and role modelling Islamic Relief values.
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same;
· Widely shares their personal vision for Islamic Relief, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable,good listener, easy to talk to
• Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
• Willing to take disciplined risks
• Honest,encourages openness and transparency
Qualifications, Experience and skills
· University degree in economics, public/business administration, or other related fields;
· Knowledge of livelihoods interventions in Somali land context, good understanding of possible durable solutions for vulnerable communities;
· At least 3 years’ work experience in relevant field with INGO or other agencies.
· Extensive and proven experience in implementation of Cash Transfer Programs, livelihoods activities, Group Savings and Loans Association; Income Generating Activities.
· Excellent planning, coordination, facilitation and reporting skills, with the ability to organize and manage substantial workload.
· Experience of working with and coordinating with multiple stakeholders including the government will be an added advantage.
· Strong communication, people management and interpersonal skills, with experience in working with in a multicultural, multi-location, value driven teams.
· High integrity, pro-active, stable, robust character and a good team-player
· Highly motivated, results-oriented, and with well-developed problem-solving skills.
· Excellent analytical, negotiation, representation and presentation skills.
· Excellent knowledge in preparing comprehensive activity reports.
· Fluent in written and spoken English and Somali languages
· Knowledge of computers: word processing, database management packages.
· Commitment to accountable practices.
· Working knowledge and demonstrated experience working in challenging environments.
· Proven ability to manage varied workloads and deal constructively with stress
· Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision.
· Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humour.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective workingrelations.
· Full working proficiency in both oral and written English and Somali (equally important);
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
· Knowledge value chain, market system development and private sector engagement.
· Knowledge and experience of micro finance concepts and practice.
Experience in Enterprise selection and development/ Business development
· IRW Somalia Program is inviting applications from qualified/Motivated candidates who are interested to submit their CVs and cover letters explaining, how they meet Job description.
· Each application should be addressed to the HR account: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
· An updated CV; and · An application letter
· AcademicQualifications (certificates/Transcripts)
· Copy of yourNational ID card or passport
· And contactinformation for three work-related referees.
· Applicationsnot including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IRW is an equalopportunity employer.
Note: Please make sure the job title inthe mail subject line is clear as Livelihood Development Assistant