Livelihood Team Leader - Kismayo
Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- In response to increasing defections from non state militant groups in Somalia, the Federal Govt. of Somalia (FGoS) & UN partners embarked on a process to develop the “National Program on the Treatment & Handling of Disengaged Combatants” (National Program). The National Program maintains the objective of establishing a comprehensive process that allows for low risk disengaged combatants & women associated with Al Shabab (WAAS) through transition centres in Kismayo & Baidoa. The transition centres offer support to equip beneficiaries with the skills to socially & economically reintegrate into society. This support includes the provision of basic education, civic education, religious counselling & life skills, business, financial literacy & vocational training.
- IOM's Disarmament, Demobilization & Reintegration (DDR) unit is seeking to recruit a Livelihood Team Leader to support beneficiaries in achieving livelihood goals. The position involves:
- Counselling beneficiaries regarding educational, vocational & career goals.
- Planning & facilitating business development training.
- Supporting all livelihood functions including connecting with the private sector, identifying vocational training opportunities, facilitating market assessments (among other responsibilities).
- Overseeing the work of Vocational Trainers & Life Skills & Financial Literacy Trainer.
This is a full time position based in Kismayo. The specific tasks include:
- Help beneficiaries identify personal strengths & skills based on educational background, employment history & career goals.
- Provide beneficiaries with information & strategies for excelling in the workplace & dealing with job dissatisfaction.
- Identify individual barriers to employment & assess need for further training.
- Assist beneficiaries with job readiness skills, job search strategies, writing resumes & preparing for job interviews.
Develop & provide classroom teaching to implement a business development & entrepreneurship curriculum to teach young men with low literacy how to:
- Generate a business idea, start & manage a business & / or improve a business individually, as a shareholder, or as a cooperative.
- Support beneficiaries in pursuing self employment & cultivate a culture of entrepreneurship.
- Provide mentor ship, counselling & coaching to beneficiaries’ business startups.
Livelihood focal point:
- Collect labour market information to identify job opportunities for beneficiaries.
- Visit businesses & educational institutions (including other UN agencies & NGOs) to identify job opportunities & educational / capacity building opportunities for beneficiaries.
- Develop relationships with private & public sector to create linkages for job placement opportunities for beneficiaries.
- Supervise the work of Vocational Trainers & Life Skills & Financial Literacy Trainer.
- Create, update & maintain training materials, manuals, handouts, practice exercises & administrative documentation.
- Maintain standardised student assessments & record keeping system for student progress & attendance.
- Work with Social Workers to ensure that student case files are maintained properly & student progress reports are reviewed periodically to reflect individual progress towards goals.
- Participate in needs & interest assessments & regularly monitor beneficiaries’ well being & needs.
- Establish rapport / trust with beneficiaries.
- Integrate a variety of teaching strategies & curriculum content.
- Give explanations, reasonable & appropriate assignments & directions clearly.
- Organise the classroom to contribute to the learning process.
- Perform other duties related to the DDR program as assigned by supervisor.
- Overall contract performance management will be done under the supervision of the Centre Manager with technical oversight from the Youth Livelihoods Project Officer.
- The position will work closely with Social Workers & other Instructors in the centre to develop individualised livelihood plans for beneficiaries.
- Minimum of 2 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- Associate or University Degree in a relevant line of work preferred.
- Minimum 2 years experience teaching business development or entrepreneurship skills to adolescents or adults OR 5 years of personal experience starting & running a successful business.
- Experience managing confidential information & managing attendance.
- Prior experience working with vulnerable populations.
- Computer literate (MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Prior experience in UN or NGO preferred.
- Fluent in Somali (required) & English (desired).
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for action & manages constructive criticisms.
- Client orientation: Works effectively well with client & stakeholders.
- Continuous learning: Promotes continuous learning for self & others.
- Communication: Listens & communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience.
- Creativity & initiative: Actively seeks new ways of improving programs or services.
- Leadership & negotiation: Develops effective partnerships with internal & external stakeholders.
- Performance management: Identify ways & implement actions to improve performance of self & others.
- Planning & organising: Plans work, anticipates risks & sets goals within area of responsibility.
- Professionalism: Displays mastery of subject matter.
- Teamwork: Contributes to a collegial team environment.
- Technological awareness: Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
Other relevant information:
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This role is being advertised on 5.12.2019, candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role on or before 19.12.2019.
How to apply:
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using the below link: