CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of positions
- The fundamental mission of our client is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does, in programs, in advocacy & operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged & excluded children & families, translates this commitment to 'children's rights into action. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of our client, as outlined by the convention on the rights of the child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
- The Joint Program on Local Governance & Service Delivery (JPLG), supported by five UN agencies, is one of the longest running joint UN interventions in Somalia & is now in its 3rd 5 year phase (2018 - 2022). The JPLG aims to support decentralization by strengthening systems & mobilizing the delivery capabilities of local administrations across the country. JPLG is supported by the EU & the govt's. of Denmark, Norway, Sweden & Switzerland.
- Under the JPLG, one of the areas that our client supports is the decentralization of service delivery at district level in the sectors of education, health & water. Since 2014. our client leads the basic service & through JPLG has developed a co funding grant mechanism to support the implementation of the devolved functions & agreed functions.
- Our client supports districts to deliver equitable services through a sustainable approach led by the local govt's termed as the ”SDM”. The SDM is a ‘learning by doing’ exercise, a co funding grant mechanism intended to support local govt's. to implement the agreed devolved functions in basic services e.g. primary education, health, water & contribute to improving access to, the quality & consistency of, basic services available to the public. It seeks to demonstrate that districts can & should be actively engaged in responsive local service delivery. The provisional constitution of Somalia, Wadajir framework, the state level constitution, decentralization policies, local govt. laws & the sectoral decentralization strategies developed in Puntland & Somaliland lays the foundations for decentralization of basic services to districts (local govt's) & provides the framework & the mandate for local govt's to implement the devolved functions. The existence of the local govt. laws in the 4 FMS & the MOU in BRA (between BRA & MOE) provides opportunity to initiate SDM. SDM is implemented in 8 districts in Somaliland & in 6 districts in Puntland. This process has just started in South West State / Baidoa & in Benadir Regional Administration.
Under the overall supervision of the Program Specialist (local governance), in coordination with the JPLG zonal JPLG staff, concerned JPLG agencies & other social policy section staff, MOIFAR JPLG Consultant & the South West SDM consultant, the Local Governance Consultant will support the supervisor in the implementation of the RWPs in the FMS in close coordination with the CSZ JPLG focal person & will provide technical assistant to develop a “technical guidance note“ & an “operational plan” to support the implementation of the service delivery model in the new FMSs & BRA based on the experiences & the lessons learnt from Somaliland & Puntland. The consultant will also support the organization of study tour for the officials & SDM Consultants to learn about the SDM experience. The Local Governance Consultant will specifically be tasked with the following:
- Review the existing literature & relevant documents related to the initiation & implementation of the “service delivery model” work in JPLG.
- Organize field visits to Somaliland, Puntland & Baidoa, meet with key concerned officials at state and local level, SDM Consultants, JPLG team representative, JPLG team to understand & document the implementation of the process & the lessons learnt.
- Document the different approaches of SDM implementation applied in SL & PL, the good practices & the lessons learnt challenges in implementing the SDM including case studies.
- Develop a technical guidance note that adapts & builds on the SDM model implemented in Somaliland & Puntland.
- Develop a detailed operational plan for the implementation of SDM in the new FMS's & BRA.
- Organize meetings with the JPLG TWG to seek inputs, comments & identify areas of collaboration for the implementation of SDM in the new FMS's & BRA.
- Organize & facilitate in coordination with MOIFAR the consultation meeting with the DGs, MOIFAR / FMS SDM Consultants, Chiefs of SAD department where SDM will be piloted to seek inputs during the preparation & finalization of the technical guidance note & operational plan.
- Organize in consultation & coordination with MOIFAR the dissemination workshop with the FMS & BRA to share the final technical guidance note & the operational plan.
- Organize facilitate & coordinate a field visit for SDM Consultants to observe SDM good practices.
- Organize orientation to the strengthen JPLG FMS & BRA to strengthen partners' understanding on the service delivery model including building capacity of SDM Consultants.
- Participate in the relevant joint program meetings, review meetings & evaluation exercises & support in the development of presentations & provide backstopping to the supervisor as & when relevant.
- An operational work plan with dates for deliverables.
- Analytical report that documents & consolidates the operationalization of SDM in Somaliland & Puntland including the lessons learnt & positive case studies.
- A technical guidance note on the implementation of SDM in the FMS & BRA.
- An operational plan to guide the FMS & BRA.
- Provide inputs to quarterly donor, our client reports & donor proposals.
- Monthly progress reports, minutes / reports of the SDM related meetings.
- A training module (for the SDM Consultants & SAD officials) & training report.
- Coaching to the SDM Consultants of FMS / BRA SDM.
- Exit report with key recommendations for next steps.
This role works under the overall supervision of the Program Specialist (local governance), in coordination with the JPLG zonal JPLG staff, concerned JPLG agencies & other social policy section staff, MOIFAR JPLG Consultant & the South West SDM consultant.
Education & experience:
- Advanced University Degree, Governance (Local governance), Political / Social Sciences, Development Planning, Program Management, or related fields.
- At least 6 years' professional experience & at least 4 of which should be at a professional level working in the area’s local governance / social protection public administration reform, or community development, preferably in a fragile context.
- Demonstrated experience managing complex programs with multiple partners, including experience with coordination, donor relations, planning, monitoring & budget management & oversight.
- Proven ability to work with partners, manage staff, consultants, write proposals & sound evidence based reports in clear & simple language.
- Strong communication skills, including an ability to build rapport with individuals, groups & maintain an effective network of individuals across organizational departments, agencies & govt's.
- Fluency in English & Somali.
- Understanding of the sociopolitical context of Somalia would be an advantage.
- Good understanding of local govt. systems, procedures & processes at all levels (especially district) is desirable.
- Experience in developing training modules in local governance & providing training.
- Work experience with UN & knowledge about the JPLG / service delivery model an added asset.
- Experience with the UN system would be desirable.
Working experience on formative research & evaluation of development interventions would be an advantage.
Experience of working in especially Mogadishu, new FMS, BRA, Puntland & Somaliland is desirable.
- Diversity & inclusion.
- Formulating strategies & concepts.
- Applying technical expertise.
- Learning & researching.
- Planning & organizing.
- Working with people.
- Drive for results.
Team management: This role has no team management responsibility
The assignment will initially cover the period from July 2021 -December 2021 (6 months), with possible extension based on the performance, needs, and resource availability.
The supervisor will assess the performance of the Consultant periodically.
Monthly payment will be made based on satisfactory performance & deliverables approved by the supervisor.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
Candidates applying for this role MUST upload their latest resume on their candidate profiles in order to be considered for this role.