The Logistics/Security Associate position is located in the UNFPA Garowe Office and reports to the Head of Office.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
You would be responsible for:
- Ensuring effective and efficient provision of Logistics support services, meeting client needs, and in compliance with UNFPA rules, regulations, policies and strategies,
- Managing, coordinating and supervising processes and services in shipments and customs clearance, travel, events management, supply and assets management services, transportation services, programme supplies and office supplies.
- Authoritatively interpreting organizational procedures and precedents to provide guidance for complex or unusual cases and situations.
- Overseeing implementation of logistics system in accordance with UNFPA Inventory Procedures.
- Guiding and managing protocol matters, ensuring efficient delivery of client services, in collaboration with host government authorizations.
- Managing liaison and coordination with local authorities on authorizations/privileges and immunities for UNFPA personnel, office space and other administrative matters.
- Perform as procurement officer for Garowe Office, for this doing active market assessment, liaising with other UN Agencies for having a wide stock of contracts for the hiring of services and buying goods.
- Responsible for filing related to the procurement process for which is responsible.
- Shall perform “buyer” Atlas functions for Garowe Office
Assists in implementation of Country Office Security Plan:
- Provide assistance to the Field Office in the implementation of the Country Security Plan, Contingency Plans and the UN Security Framework, including ensuring that all UNFPA personnel are covered by relevant Security Plans;
- In conjunction with the HR Unit, ensure Staff Lists are maintained and regularly provided to UNDSS and to the Security Specialist;
- Assist in administering and testing the UNFPA Field Office Warden Plan;
- Administer staff IDs (issuance and renewal);
- Assist Security Specialist in preparation and implementation of UNFPA Business Continuity Plan;
- In coordination with UNDSS be prepared for 24-hour response to all security and safety related incidents involving UNFPA staff;
Field Missions Support:
- Participate and coordinate for the field missions to facilitate movement and provide guidance to the team leader of field mission as well as keep coordination with the UNDSS and Radio Room. Assist Security Specialist in ensuring timely preparation of CONOPS, Mission Requests and Security Clearances;
- Make timely Special Protection Unit (SPU) escort requests to facilitate field missions to zone 2 and zone 3.
Security Risk Management (SRM) Compliance:
- Assist in the maintenance and monitoring of the SRM compliance of UNFPA staff, offices, equipment and other areas. Identify the Emergency Communication Equipment needs;
- Assists in the preparation of UNFPA security reports such as the securing Incident Reports and contribute to monthly security activity reports.
General assistance to the CO Security Specialist/SFP:
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents related to security issues;
- Provides substantive support to the CO Security Specialist in collecting and updating information with regards to security issues and communicating them to the RSA;
- Conduct periodic security inventory count of items;
- Takes minutes and/or notes at security meetings, when necessary;
- Ensure that all staff members posted to UNFPA have completed the BSAFE and Secure Approach in Field Environments (SSAFE) and that records of certificates are maintained with the HR Unit;
- In close cooperation with CO Security Specialist and UNDSS, provide support in organizing and conducting training briefings and courses on security issues/awareness and preparedness and giving orientation to newly assigned staff members.
Other Tasks & Activities:
- Represent UNFPA at the local Security Cell meetings, as appropriate, in the absence of CO Security Specialist;
- Provide briefing to staff and other associated personnel on UN Security Management System and other relevant security matters;
- Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the CO Security Specialist.
Qualifications and Experience
Completed Secondary Level Education required with certification in Procurement and Logistics/supply chain Management. First level university degree in Business Administration is desirable.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 6 years of progressively responsible experience in Administration, preferably in Procurement and/or Logistics activities, procedures and policies.
- Familiarity with UN procedures and working methods is highly desirable
- Proficiency in current office software applications and corporate ERP/PeopleSoft systems. The incumbent shall be able to work fluidly with Excel (electronic spreadsheet) software.
Fluency in English and Somali both written and spoken is required.
• Exemplifying integrity
• Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
• Embracing diversity in all its forms
• Embracing change
• Achieving Results
• Being Accountable
• Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
• Thinking analytically and Strategically
• Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
• Communicating for Impact
- Managing the organization's financial resources
- Providing logistical services
- Provding procurement services
- Ensuring facilities and asset management
- Providing strategic focus
- Engaging internal/external partners and stakeholders
- Leading, developing and empowering people/creating a culture of performance
- Making decisions and exercising judgement
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm