Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we can act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Our clients Somalia country office is undertaking feasibility studies & detailed design of priority urban roads in Kismayo & Baidoa, a component of the Somali Urban Investment Planning Project (SUIPP) supported by the WB. Working in a close relationship with the municipality & govt. partners, the project covers priority urban roads in Kismayo & Baidoa. The project scope involves feasibility studies & detailed designs of about 30 km of urban roads in Kismayo & 20 km of urban roads in Baidoa. The feasibility study report is due by end of June & the detailed design documentation is due by end of August.
- The Material & Pavement Engineer is required to undertake the material investigations & pavement designs to support the feasibility studies & the detailed designs of urban roads in Kismayo & Baidoa. More specific roles of the job are outlined below.
- Road site visits in Kismayo & Baidoa & examination of the proposed road alignment & the identification of sources of suitable construction materials & water source required for construction & develop plans for field & laboratory testing.
- Laboratory investigation of the materials along the proposed alignment to determine the suitability of these materials for road formation &/or pavement construction.
- Survey & investigation of potential borrow pits & quarries for earthworks & pavement construction as per the adopted specifications. Preparation of a Materials Report with sufficient detailed information & test results.
- Based on traffic studies &projections, economic analyses & material tests, the consultant shall develop different pavement profile types (at least 3 different options) for the roads & shall analyze the merits & drawbacks of each option to determine the final standard to be adopted for the road matching with the road design manuals, topography, climate, aesthetics & costs.
- Develop comparative data for construction & maintenance costs for the different pavement design standards considered, to support the final designs adopted for the roads.
- Prepare materials investigation reports with sufficient detailed information & test results & pavement design reports providing details of different types of payment profiles investigated & justifications for the proposed type for the final design. Separate reports will be required for each location Kismayo & Baidoa.
- Provide additional technical input requested by the team leader to support the feasibility studies & the detailed designs.
- Prepare technical specifications for selected pavement types.
- Develop & execute the material investigation report in a timely manner to provide material & pavement design input to the feasibility report due by end of June & the detailed design report due by end of August.
- Prepare & submit the material investigation report within a timeline agreed with the team leader to support the design review.
- Prepare & submit the pavement design report within a timeline agreed with the team leader to support the design review.
- Prepare & submit factual materials reports. Separate for each town.
- This role for any technical aspects reports to the Design Team Leader & for any management aspects reports to the Project Manager.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Africa (desirable).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering / Geo Technical Engineering or a related discipline is required.
- Competency in English both spoken & writing is essential.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in soils / material investigation, geo technical assessments & pavement designs related to urban roads / highways is required.
- Technical report writing skills is required.
- Relevant working experience in Somalia / East Africa is desirable.
- Somalia / East Africa is desirable.
Other relevant information:
- Contract is for a period of 60 working days over a period of approximately 2.5 months.