Islamic Relief Worldwide, Programme has been operating in Somaliland since 2009 and has been providing both humanitarian and development programmes to Somaliland population. Through our intervention, IR has continuously provided safe drinking water, improving hygiene and sanitation condition, constructed, rehabilitated and upgrading water facilities and empowered urban poor through our programmes including orphan sponsorship programme. Over years of its working in Somaliland, IR has established good reputation and collaboration with the government line ministries/agencies towards delivery of our strategic priorities.
To undertake all media and communication functions in Somaliland IRW Office and to provide effective and efficient implementation of IRS programmes.
Ensure that coordination among the teams is enhanced to better serve the target communities in different regions of Somaliland.
Deliver all media functions of IRW Somaliland with an aim of ensuring services reach the population in need within the required timeline.
- Provide administrative support to programs and internal teams.
- Draft press releases, publications, social media posts etc.
- Assist in maintaining web content and executing social media strategies.
- Update databases and media lists.
- Assist to implement the communications strategies.
- Track projects and media exposure.
- Facilitate effective internal communications.
- Maintain calendars and appointments.
- Prepare presentations and reports.
- Ensure donor compliance for any grant approved based on specific media requirement and requests.
- Ensure IRW branding is maintained all the times.
- Ensure media relations are well established with the good expanding of IR image
- Organize training sessions.
- Provide technical support to the team if necessary.
- Ensure the production of High-Quality media materials of photos and videos, including human interest stories for web print, donors, external publication and to share them with the Media Officer in the country office in a timely manner.
- To manage all media communications activity in the field in line with the media guidelines produced by the IRS Media Communications Officer, and ensure the media and marketing needs of IRW and donors are met.
- To be the main media communications contact in the field during emergencies and coordinate all media communication roles.
- To produce case studies of people affected by the emergency and those helped by
- IR, articles on the changing situation and impact of IR’s work on the ground.
- To provide timely, interesting and accurate information to the IRS Media Officer that can be turned into Press Releases, web updates and e-campaigns, as well as other appropriate marketing materials.
- To work alongside any other IR media staff on the ground including photographers to ensure coordinated media material.
- To work according to Islamic Relief’s ethical guidelines on content collection.
- To produce high-quality and regular media and marketing material that meets the needs of IRW and its partners.
- To contribute to any advocacy messaging developed by IR around the needs and issues associated with the disaster.
- Any other duties assigned by Line manager.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- A university degree/Diploma in mass media, communications and Journalism and other relevant fields from recognized university
- Minimum of 5-4 years’ experience including at least 3 years of working for UN bodies and international NGOs in the field of mass media and communications
- Knowledge of community-based approaches in humanitarian and development settings is desirable.
- Knowledge of international standards in logistics, procurement procedure and logistics online software is desirable.
- Competency with the analysis of contextual information, and developing clear, informed recommendations.
- Proficiency in English (Written and spoken) is essential
- Good IT skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Word and Excel is essential.
- Experience in ERP systems is added advantage e.g., Microsoft dynamics, Navision etc.
- Willing to adapt to IRW’s norms and values without compromising personal beliefs and principles.
- Excellent communication skills – able to communicate and report effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Willing and able to work long hours as required and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to participatory approaches when working with communities.
- Willing to learn local mechanisms, culture and humanitarian and development issues of the region.
- Able to build productive working relationships; work as part of a team, and support colleagues.
- Communicates honestly, openly, and consistently. Shares information appropriately and ensure that views of all members of the team are freely expressed.
- Encourages a positive rather than negative viewpoint.
- Good numeracy skills with knowledge of local markets and cost estimating are desirable.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to build working relationships quickly and to work sensitively with people from various cultural and social backgrounds.
- Able to form recommendations for creative solutions in problem solving.
- Energetic and able to operate in situations which may be arduous.
- Should be prepared mentally to do extensive fieldwork and visit other locations within the country.
- Able to work flexible hours when necessary and strive towards task completion.
- Flexible and patient for emergency response deadlines.
- Ability to work on your own initiative as well as a part of a team.
- It is essential that the post holder show a good understanding of humanitarian principles and sympathy with Islamic Relief’s values, as well as a commitment to Islamic Relief’s vision and mission.
IRW Somaliland Programme is inviting applications from qualified motivated candidates who are interesting to submit their CVs, cover letters, academic qualifications, copy of national ID card/Passport and contact information for three work related referees should be addressed to the email@example.com
NOTE: please make sure the job title in the mail subject line is clear
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
IRW is an equal opportunity employer.