Monitoring and Evaluation Officer - Galkayo (Galmudug)
CARE International is an international NGO working in Somalia. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering caused by drought, conflict and displacement.
CARE Somalia’s Urban Youth Program is currently seeking applications from experienced professionals to fill the position of M&E Officer. The position will be based in Galkayo- Galmudug with frequent travel to the field regularly for project implementation and technical support
CARE Somalia has adopted a program approach that is focusing on achieving a specific impact on a particular vulnerable population group over a 10 to 15-year period. The approach involves developing theories of change and program strategies for specific impact groups who have been carefully identified and selected based on in-depth situational analysis. One of the country office impact group is urban youth who are in the age bracket 15-29 years, out of school and/or socially marginalized. Through strategic alliances and increased policy advocacy, CARE’s Urban youth program will contribute to lasting change in the lives of these most impoverished and marginalized youth. At present the focus of much of the work with urban youth is on education, inclusive governance and livelihoods with an emphasis on TVET. The aim of this project will be to work with these youths to address underlying causes of poverty, vulnerability and marginalization that affect them.
2. Position Summary
CARE is one of the world’s leading international humanitarian agencies working to help people achieve social and economic well-being while being among the best in their fields. CARE Somalia is an International NGO working in Somalia. CARE Somalia and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, through its strategic goal to reduce poverty by empowering women, enhancing access to resources and services, and improving governance. We are seeking applications from experienced professionals to fill the position of Senior Monitoring & Evaluation Officer – Urban Program. Under the overall guidance of Area/office Manager and M&E coordinator, the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be responsible for designing and implementing the M&E activities within Durable solution for IDPs and Returnees in Somalia (DSIRS) project. S/he manages the collection and analysis of the project monitoring data through conducting site visits, remote support, among other methods. S/he monitors project activities on a regular basis; s/he also works in close collaboration with urban youth program team, government officials and implementing partners.
Roles & responsibilities
Result 1; Project Monitoring and Evaluations (40%)
- Participate in the development of log frame and monitoring and evaluation frameworks/ plans for the project, consistent with project M&E frameworks.
- Support program teams in the development and application of the DSIRS project data collection tools
- Support field teams in the collection of reliable data/information
- Facilitate and support routine field/activity monitoring
- Facilitate and support joint project monitoring in coordination with partners and other stakeholders for joint learning and decision-making
- Support project teams in the design and implementation of baseline surveys, mid-term evaluations, final evaluation and other studies as necessary
- Track the progress on project implementation on monthly and quarterly basis and by set project logical frameworks and other parameters as contained in specific projects (Track and analyze progress against program indicators and objectives).
Result Area 2: Data management and documentation (25%)
- Take the lead in the analysis of DSIRS project data, share analyzed data for decision-making purposes and suggest ways to facilitate data collection and flow within program teams .
- Together with other project team, harmonize and standardize existing data collection, analysis and reporting tools.
- In collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Coordinator contribute to setting up data entry and management systems in line with CARE Somalia’s Management Information System as well as specific project needs within the project.
- Support the program team(CARE and later partners) to update the MIS routinely and systematically
- Validate the quality of collected data sample analysis and take corrective measures to ensure accuracy and validity or program data.
- Perform regular field visits to ensure the quality of data collected by project and to verify the accuracy of reported data.
- Maintain comprehensive schedule of donor program reports and review reports to ensure it contains accurate and high quality data presented in appropriate format.
Result Area 3 Reporting and Learning (25%)
- Support program staff in compiling monthly and interim project performance reports I particular the donor reports.
- Work with the Partnership and Learning Coordinator to document case studies, good practices and success stories in the course of projects’ implementation **
Result Area 4 – General Responsibilities (10%)
- Participate in MEAL meetings and coordination activities.
- Ensure CARE Somalia/Somaliland MEAL standards and procedures are met in all the Urban Youth projects
- Provide support to CARE staff to understand the development of M&E plans, data collection tools, survey designs and other services as may be required for project monitoring and evaluation. Facilitate guidance to partners to enable them to monitor and evaluate their own efforts, gather relevant data and produce required progress reports **
3. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS / PERSON SPECIFICATIONS
3.1 Education and Training and Relevant Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, project management or related social science fields and good understanding and interest for M&E systems
- At least 2 years’ experience in performance monitoring and evaluation for humanitarian programs in an NGO setting including developing performance indicators, data collection and analysis
- Experience in M&E methods and approaches including participatory, qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- Demonstrated experience in information/data analysis and writing quality reports
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports.
3.2. Knowledge and desired skills
- Computer skills including familiarity with MS Office, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and internet, web applications.
3.3 Core Values and Critical Competencies.
- Willingness to undertake extensive field work in remote communities
- ·Computer skills including literacy in MicroSoft Word and Excel
- Ability to create and maintain a working environment that will promote value and respect diversity in the implementation process.
- Excellent interpersonal, planning, organizing, communication skills
- Good understanding of gender issues and rights based approaches
- Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain their message.
- Excellent communication, planning, supervisory and interpersonal skills that will enable the identification of opportunities to establish effective strategic relationships between one’s area and others to achieve CARE’s objectives.
- Willingness to work and live under difficult physical and security conditions and the necessary restrictions that this entails
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines yet effectively coordinate program activities with other CARE projects being implemented
How to apply:
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates are requested submit their application letter and CV with at least 3 professional reference check via email SOM.Recruitment@care.org by close of business on 14 September 2019. Please include the reference “ M&E Officer – Galkayo – Galmudug As subject of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about CARE and its programs, visit www.care.org
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer, promoting gender, equity and diversity.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our selection process reflects our Commitment to the protection of children