Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is currently looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player for the post Monitoring & Evaluation Team Leader based in Kismayo, Somalia.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels. The duration of this post is 12 months with the possibility of extension.
The role of the M&E Team Leader is to establish and implement systems to increase the availability and use of timely and accurate information at programs and at area office levels by catalyzing the use of technology and data driven approach, for informed decision-making to ultimately improve the service provision and programme impact for people affected by displacement, and promote accountability. Within this context, the M&E Team Leader will provide technical support to area staff pertaining to M&E and accountability, and build capacity in the area by identifying and supporting the implementation of effective, cost efficient and meaningful M&E and accountability systems.
NRC in Somalia
NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions.
NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
Due to the current COVID-19 outbreak, the recruitment process and start date may be delayed. Nevertheless, we encourage qualified candidates to apply and we will inform shortlisted applicants of any changes as the process evolves. Thank you for your understanding.
Duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to NRC strategy development and provide input on needs and gaps from relevant areas.
- Serve as the main entry point for NRC’ specific project definition and implementation, in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements;
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and assess new and better ways to assist;
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities;
- Develop, maintain and establish excellent working relationships with a wide range of different interlocutors (Clusters, NGOs, civil and military representatives);
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Work as focal person and receive beneficiaries compliant/feedback reports through hotlines and store the information into prescribed excel database
- Update regularly compliant/feedback tracking excel database and provide further analysis.
- Use existing tools and databases (ONA, KOBO, excel based databases and others) to support automated beneficiary registration, enrolment, household updates as well as distribution activities.
- Ensure that the field reports are accurate and reliable for completion of the monthly statistical reports
- Maintain a clear and complete database for all the cash and non-cash transactions including non-food items distributed.
- Prepare and submit monthly statistical reports to management and other stakeholders
- Maintain the entered data and ensure that data can be tracked / reconciled easily, in accordance with NRC policies. Summarize the entered data in the form of statistical reports as appropriate.
- Test databases, correct errors, clean up data and make necessary modifications.
- Work with IT department to develop and control user access permissions for each segment of database according to program management specifications.
- Ensure backups of field data collection and safety of data collected in field operations by password control to databases and encryption of laptop data where required
- Identify training needs for field staff and develop appropriate training methodologies and assist in delivery of training.
- Support in updating the standard tracking systems and excel databases as needed to document and record all program activities.
- Perform any other related duty as requested by the Area Program Manager or his designee.
- In coordination with the M&E Coordinator – SC and JL, Area Manager – JL, project staff and M&E in the country, establish reliable participatory mechanisms towards implementing M&E SOPs
- Adopt national M&E systems and procedures to ensure project quality assurance and consistency across the Area Program.
- Design, implement, improve and maintain workable and comprehensive M&E tools for the monitoring of core NRC program activities within the Program Area
- Oversee the systematic and continuous data collection and analysis on the progress of activities over time and monitor results in terms of timeliness, quality, and accuracy in line with the logical framework approaches (LFAs), best practice and project design.
- Provide technical support to JL Sub-Offices and teams in planning and monitoring of ongoing projects as well as the development of systematic regular and structured M&E exercises.
- Assist in the drafting of periodic program thematic internal and external reports.
- Compile various periodic internal reports for smooth and timely implementation and accomplishment of planned project activities.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science/information technology or statistics is required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite is required
- At least 2 years’ experience in beneficiary/commodity tracking, preferably with an international NGO or a UN agency strongly preferred
- Prospective candidates must have strong analytical skills as well as report writing skills
- The position requires a person who is self-starter, who can accomplish the tasks with little or no supervision. He/she must be diligent in paperwork, have integrity and be able to cooperate with field staff, warehousemen as well as truck drivers.
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analysis skills (qualitative and quantitative) and strong reporting skills.
- Experience in training and capacity building in M&E mechanisms at various project levels.
- Good understanding of various donors’ requirements.
- Experience in designing and leading on specific development research projects.
- Experience working with statistical computer software packages.
- Project design and management skills.
- Goal oriented with ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Managing resources and achieving results.
- Handling insecure environments.
- Working with people.
- Coping with change.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Planning and delivering results.
We can offer
Contract period: 12 months with the possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kismayo, with frequent travel to field offices.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.