Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Resource Management Officer and the direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer in Mogadishu and in cooperation with the relevant units at Headquarters (HQs), administrative Centres (Manila Administrative Centre (MAC) and Regional Resources Management Unit in Regional Office (RO), Nairobi, Kenya, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for supporting the management and coordination of the administrative and financial, functions of IOM Somalia. In particular, he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Monitor and coordinate the financial management functions in support of all activities for the mission.
- Assist in monitoring the financial management of all activities in the mission including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability to ensure expenditures remain within authorized levels; undertake financial analysis of projects in the sub-offices and recommend the resolution of anomalies and unusual trends.
- Assist the Resources Management Officer (RMO) in preparation of annual budget for; coordinate and review budgets for programmes, monitor budget control and analyse variances between budget and actual expenditures, evaluate monthly financial reports for all projects and recommend the resolution of variances.
- Assist in forecasting cash flows according to activities in the mission and ensuring daily control of funds disbursed; verify that funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Support the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures in close coordination with the RMO as well as relevant Units or RO. Monitor compliance with general instructions of IOM and relevant mission permanent instructions in the areas of general administration and finance and bring issues of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor.
- Train sub-offices finance staff on IOM’s policies and procedures in the relevant areas of financial management.
- Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the organization’s assets, control cash and prevent fraud; strengthen internal controls by documenting and proposing the streamlining of approval processes in the sub-offices.
- Review existing systems and procedures and, if necessary, recommend possible improvements to strengthen internal monitoring, evaluation and control systems and improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Work closely with other internal functional units of the Mission and other institutional counterparts/stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
- Support Resource Management Unit to facilitate compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures and any donor specific requirements.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned. Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Financial Management, Accounting, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience;
- Professional certification as Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA) will be a distinct advantage.
- Work experience in financial management, accounting, and budgeting.
- Experience in preparing clear and concise financial and management reports.
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as working in and with international institutions.
- Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration.
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP is highly desirable;
- Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting systems, software and procedures, Common System regulations, policies and procedures are a distinct advantage;
- Good knowledge of general human resources management is an advantage.
Fluency in English and Somali (oral and written).
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Other Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
How to apply: Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (VN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com