LG005 Legal Officer/Translator (1 position) Duty Station: Garowe Availability: As soon as possible Post Category: Officer Group Classification: 2 Reporting Line: The Legal Officer/Translator will be under the direct supervision of appointed international Legal Reform Adviser and will report to him/her.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- To provide legal expertise and advice on legal issues related to the host country legal framework, including advice on host country regulatory and other instruments, mechanisms and arrangements;
- To prepare, under the guidance of the Advisers, draft documents on legal issues pertaining to the implementation of EUCAPs Mandate;
- To conduct research on legal issues related to public international law and relevant host country law;
- To assist the Advisers in all areas of their respective work, including liaising with local interlocutors, assisting in the preparation and delivery of legal training courses, the organization of workshops and other events;
- To translate documents from Somali into English and vice versa;
- To provide interpretation services in meetings with Somali interlocutors;
- To prepare talking points for the Advisers ahead of meetings with Somali interlocutors;
- To prepare and participate in meetings, conferences and other events, preparing meeting reports;
- To maintain the highest level of confidentiality when dealing with assigned tasks and responsibilities, as well as with all EUCAP documents and information;
- Contribute to mission reporting in the area of competence;
- Contribute to the identification of lessons and best practice in the area of competence;
- Take account of gender equality and human rights aspects in the execution of tasks;
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the line manager.
Essentials Qualifications and Experience:
- Successful completion of university studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma. The qualification should be in Law or equivalent/related field, such as human rights or political science; AND
- After having fulfilled the education requirements, a minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience, in the practice of law in an international organization, a government, a private company or a law firm, with substantial experience in international, administrative, public and regulatory law matters;
- Substantial experience in translation and interpretation, including interpreting and translating for international experts;
- Knowledge of functions and practices of the host country and other Rule of Law systems;
- Knowledge of local legal terminology.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong organizational skills that reflect an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks in an energetic environment with multiple priorities;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, in difficult circumstances, as well as ability to communicate with personnel at all operational and strategic levels;
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Exemplary writing and editing skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and the Internet;
- Excellent communication and analytical skills in both written and spoken English and Somali language;
- Teamwork oriented;
- Strong sense of confidentiality and discretion.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
- A Master Degree in Law;
- Diploma or certificate in English Language skills, in both translation and interpretation, for example IELTS certificate or equivalent academic or professional training, evidenced by a certificate;
- Previous professional experience working in an international organization;
- Knowledge of maritime issues in the host country and at international level;
- Knowledge of relevant jurisprudence in the host country;
- Knowledge of European Security Defence Policy (ESDP) Missions and EUCAP activities in Somalia;
- Additional language skills are desirable;
- Good presentation skills;
- Ability to work without supervision, complete assigned tasks within strict deadlines and consistently maintain quality and accuracy in performance of duties;
- Able to maintain a clean, safe and hazard free working environment. Meticulous time keeping, and ability and willingness to work additional hours if required.
Mandatory requirement to pass security clearances and medical check