National Project Implementation Coordinator (NPSA-11)
UNDP Somalia and the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida) have signed an agreement to build the capacity of the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and the Federal Member States (FMS) with an overarching focus on promoting resilience of the water-stressed, ecologically-fragile, and disaster vulnerable communities in the country. The project promotes an integrated approach and addresses capacity gaps and national priorities for water, environment, and disaster risk management. It unleashes the potential of their synergies into a coherent and more integrated programming framework.
The objective of the project is to build the capacity of the Somali authorities in their efforts to promote sustainable and resilient development through targeted support in the areas of integrated water resource management, environmental governance, and disaster risk reduction. The project builds on past experiences, complements the ongoing national efforts under the National Development Plan (NDP-9), and calls for an integrated approach to deliver results on the ground in the areas of integrated water resources management, environmental governance, and disaster risk management.
With funding support from the Swedish Government, UNDP will undertake targeted interventions in three inter-related components in achieving the above objective, and these components include (1) Integrated Water Resource Management (IWRM), (2) Environmental Governance, and (3) Disaster Risk Reduction. While each component will be implemented by the respective ministry, the project will establish coordination and linkages to ensure integration of the results and synergy toward achieving the planned outcome.
The National Project Implementation Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating with the counterparts and the implementing partners and providing technical and operational support for implementing the planned activities related to the project involving three components (Water, Environment and DRR) to be implemented in coordination and partnership with the three counterparts – Ministry of Energy and Water Resources (MoEWR), Directorate of Environment and Climate Change under the office of the Prime minister, and the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management respectively.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Functions:
- Effective representation and national coordination, management, and advisory support to implementing the project
- Efficient implementation of the planned activities under the project in close collaboration with the FGS, FMS and participating UN agencies
- Effective supervision, monitoring, and evaluation support
- Effective partnership building, resource mobilization, and communications for the integrated project
- Facilitation of knowledge building and sharing
Ensures effective representation and strategic leadership, overall management and advisory support for effective implementation of the project:
- Manages the implementation of the project in line with the provisions made in the approved Project Document including the implementation strategies and coordination arrangements set out in the project document.
- Provides advice to the Government and the Implementing Partners on the vision and overall strategic direction of the project.
- Establishes, in collaboration with Government, UN and other partners, systems for planning, implementation, and monitoring in line with the provisions of the project document.
- Supports effective and efficient delivery of the results towards achieving the overall project outcome.
- Represents UNDP in fora with Government partners, the UN Country Team, the UN Mission, and donors as required;
- Provides oversight and strategic guidance to the project, specifically with respect to issues of alignment with strategic priorities of the UNDP and Government and overall technical and institutional coherence.
- Supervises and manages a team of professional and administrative staff to be hired in the project team
Provides efficient implementation and coordination of the activities under the project:
- In coordination and support from the counterparts and implementing partners, develops and timely prepares detailed annual work plans and budgets for the project
- Ensures effective implementation of the activities in accordance with the provisions of the Project Document
- Provides strategic policy and technical advice, develops support mechanisms for strengthening Government ownership, technical leadership and coordination with a view to ensuring the long-term sustainability of activities.
- Maintains transparent and co-operative relations between key implementation partners, government counterparts, donors and other national and international partners with an active stake in project implementation in context of Somalia through regular consultations, meetings and effective coordination.
Provides effective supervision, monitoring and evaluation support:
- Facilitates the achievement of results by timely monitoring of the progress of implementation and ensures on-going monitoring and annual reviews of work plans;
- Ensures quality preparation and submission of quarterly and annual results reports for the project
- Develops and periodically reviews the M&E plan;
- Manages risks matrix including reporting and their escalation as required;
- Facilitates and provides inputs for mid-term and terminal evaluations of the project in accordance with UNDP regulations.
Ensures effective partnership building, resource mobilization, and communications for the project:
- Provides technical support to the development of relevant advocacy and policy documents relevant for effective implementation of the planned results under the project
- Coordinates strategic resource mobilization efforts with respect to downstream funding requirements and the scaling up of the project.
- Coordinates with and ensures linkages and synergies with other programming initiatives in water sector in Somalia.
- Consults with external partners including Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), private sector, diaspora engaged in similar/complementary activities to enhance coordination and partnership among stakeholders working in areas relevant to water, environment and disaster sectors.
- Takes an active advocacy role in approaching donors, in coordination with the Project Manager and the Portfolio Manager, Resilience and Climate Change.
- Promote synergies with other relevant projects supported by the UN and other development partners.
- Strategically guide and supervise designated staff members and personnel, as appropriate.
- Facilitate donor missions and media relations, as appropriate.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Synthesizes best practices and lessons learned from the project and activities for sharing among partners and the stakeholders.
- Develops briefs on achievements and documents, including lessons learned.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Makes sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Reports to Chief Technical Specialist; Resilience and Climate Change
- In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Desired additional skills and competencies:
- Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters degree with 2 years experience in relevant development discipline which may include water resource management, environmental sciences, energy, natural resources, disaster risk management, development planning or related field
- First level university degree in any of the above fields with an additional 2 years experience in development, employment creation, agriculture, natural resource management may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 4 years relevant working experience with a Masters degree or a minimum of 6 years relevant working experience with a first level university degree.
- Experience working with UN organizations / international NGOs in Somalia or other countries of the region
- Experience in projects implementation in post-conflict situations.
- Proven ability to deliver results in complex and challenging environments, and to translate strategies and good practices into practical and feasible solutions
- Advanced skills in the usage of computer software packages and web-based management systems
- Fluency in written and oral English and Somali.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.