CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
- Since the formation of the FGOS, the country has made significant progress towards restoring peace & security. However, significant destabilizing factors remain, including conflict & natural disaster. With about 2.6 million displaced in Somalia & a significant number of returnees from the region & beyond, Somalia has struggled to cope with high numbers of displaced.
- Increasingly, opportunities arise to support for durable solutions to displacement. Our client has been instrumental in its support of communities to drive & govern in order to increasingly lead on building progress towards durable solutions to displacement. With strong emphasis on localised capacities & community priorities, increasing partnerships are building momentum towards durable solutions
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager (PM) & the direct supervision of the Durable Solutions Project Officer, the successful candidate will provide technical support for the implementation of engineering components related to the RDS portfolio’s construction projects implemented in Somalia. Specific responsibilities include:
Bidding & award of contract:
- Facilitate pre bid conferences at the local level including site visit for prospective bidders for familiarization purposes.
- Respond to any technical queries by prospective bidders regarding the scope of the works before submission of offers.
- Participate in bid opening as & when required by the National Engineer – Mogadishu to advise on technical evaluation.
Services for supervision (resident supervision):
- Provide technical support for the implementation of engineering components related to the RDS's portfolio’s construction projects implemented in Somalia.
- Participate in the preparation & evaluation of technical designs, scope of works, BOQ's & material specifications lists in coordination with the Durable Solutions Project Officer in Mogadishu to identify basic & / or special project needs in specific areas.
- Provide preliminary budgets & scope of work including other technical documentation relating to infrastructure programming at the initial stages of grant development before the assessment is conducted.
- Advice the RDS team on activities related to the actual implementation of the projects in relation the design, specifications & BOQ's.
- Suggest appropriate mechanisms to adapt structures in the areas selected during the initial stages of grant development.
- In coordination with procurement team, participate in bid opening ceremonies as when required & advise the tender committee & RDS team in the field on technical matters related to the selected projects.
- Provide technical guidance & monitoring of ongoing projects providing progress reports for construction projects including the engineer’s report, quality control & certificate of practical completion reports at all stages of construction for payment purposes payment.
- Advise on any variation works that may arise during implementation & seek approval from the PM before implementation.
- In collaboration with RDS team, track & assess technical progress of infrastructure projects vis à- is work plan, schedule & budget.
- Provide regular weekly report regarding the status of ongoing projects, ensuring the contractors have adequate distribution of labour & materials on site to enable them complete the works within the stipulated period.
- In collaboration with the Durable Solutions Project Officer, be able to identify early warning signals for potential work adjustments & / or contract variations. Any variations should be approved by the PM.
- Assist field teams in liaising with the local govt. & community leaders in identifying & prioritizing community needs.
- In collaboration with the Durable Solutions Project Officer & field teams, maintain working relationships with local authorities & draw up, when required, Build MOU's with relevant govt. bodies & other potential partners.
- Conduct market survey of construction materials at local level & gather information on market conditions for adequate preparation of BOQ’s.
- Advise program management on ways to proactively manage impact on the project of potential fluctuations in the supply chain arising from different market uncertainties.
- In conjunction with the DS Project Officer & the PM evaluate & suggest improvement to program planning, programming, implementation & monitoring in connection with the field of expertise.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
This role works under the overall supervision of the Project Manager (PM) & the direct supervision of the Durable Solutions Project Officer
Bachelors or equivalent degree in Architecture, Civil & Structural Engineering, Building Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 2 years of relevant experience or Master’s or equivalent or higher in Architecture, Civil & Structural Engineering, Building Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
- Experience in urban development in insecure, or post conflict environments.
- Sufficient capacity to undertake the aforementioned responsibilities in Somalia.
- Experience & ability to produce & / or check the drawings including but not limited to site plans, architectural, structural and MEP drawings, cost estimation, BOQ & other layout plans which may be presented by prospective contractor(s).
- Demonstrated experience in project cycle management.
- Experience in working with international organizations, govt. institutions & / or aid organizations.
- Experience in working with govt. authorities including knowledge of building bylaws & building requirements an asset.
- Experience in construction / renovation work in Somalia is an asset.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office suite, including knowledge and experience in CAD based applications such as AutoCAD & / or ArchiCAD for review of designs where necessary.
- Proven skills & experience projects M&E.
- Good report writing skills.
- Must be fluent in English & Somali is required.
- Respects & promotes individual & cultural differences, encourages diversity & inclusion wherever possible.
- Maintains high ethical standards & acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules & standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, committed manner & exercises careful judgment in meeting day to day challenges.
- Develops & promotes effective collaboration within & across units to achieve shared goals & optimize results.
- Produces & delivers quality results in a service oriented & timely manner, is action oriented & committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge & innovate.
- Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities & assumes responsibility for own action & delegated work.
- Encourages & contributes to clear & open communication, explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring & motivational way.
- Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example & demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision, assists others to realize & develop their potential.
- Creates an atmosphere of trust & an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best & develop their potential.
- Works strategically to realize the organization’s goals & communicates a clear strategic direction.
This role has no team management responsibility.
- Internals of the organization & NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as 1st tier candidates.
- This vacancy is also open to 2nd tier candidates.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, & security clearances.
- Candidates applying MUST upload a copy of their latest resume on their candidate profiles.