CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements.
In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
- he Immigration Border Management (IBM) program has been undertaking various rehabilitations & construction work in Somalia. It is important for our client to ensure contractors’ technical sound planning, execution of work according to the plans, approval for justifications for deviations & certification of work completed. To ensure this is done satisfactorily, our client wishes to recruit a Field Engineer with adequate civil & structural engineering qualifications for all construction work activities in Somalia.
- Under the overall supervision of the Program Manager & the direct supervision of the IBM Program Officer, the successful candidate will provide technical support for the implementation of engineering components related to the IBM portfolio’s construction projects implemented in Somalia.
Design of infrastructural & building works:
- Participate in assessments of proposed project sites with the relevant authorities, partners & recommend to our client the items of work required.
- Participate in preparation & evaluation of site plan, a floor plan, an architectural drawing, an engineering design & / or drawing, with details of different systems including water supply, sewerage system, disposal works, electrical system, voice & data, networking & security management for the compound in coordination with Manager & obtaining approval from the govt. departments concerned.
- Promote & monitor the inclusion of all necessary plans & considerations that need to be taken into in consultation with the authority & our client.
- Prepare preliminary budgets & scope of work including documentations at the initial stages of grant development before assessment, cost estimates in a form of BOQ, material specification lists & obtaining their technical approvals from the govt. departments concerned.
Bidding & award of contract:
- Facilitate pre bid conferences at the local level including site visit for prospective bidders for familiarization purposes.
- Respond to any technical queries by prospective bidders regarding the scope of the works before submission of offers.
- Participate in bid opening as & when required by procurement in Mogadishu & to advise the tender committee & IBM team in the field on technical matters / evaluation related to the selected projects.
Services for supervision:
- Provide technical support for the implementation of engineering components related to IBM portfolio’s construction projects implemented in Somalia.
- Advice the IBM team on activities related to the actual implementation of the projects in relation the design, specifications & BOQs.
- Suggest appropriate mechanisms to adapt structures in the areas selected during the initial stages of grant development.
- Provide technical guidance & monitoring of ongoing projects providing progress reports for construction projects including the engineer’s report, quality control & certificate of practical completion reports at all stages of construction for payment purposes payment.
- Provide regular reports regarding the status of ongoing projects, ensuring the contractors have adequate distribution of labour & materials on site to enable them complete the works within the stipulated period.
- In collaboration with IBM team, track & assess technical progress of infrastructure projects vis-à-vis work plan, schedule & budget.
- In collaboration with the IBM PM, be able to identify early warning signals for potential work adjustments & / or contract variations.
- Any variations should be approved by the Program Manager before implementation.
- Assist field teams in liaising with local govt. & community leaders in identifying & prioritizing community needs.
- In collaboration with the IBM PM & field teams, maintain working relationships with local authorities & draw up, when required, MOU with relevant govt. bodies & other potential partners.
- Conduct market survey of construction materials at local level & gather information on market conditions for adequate preparation of BOQ’s.
- Advise program management on ways to proactively manage impact on the project of potential fluctuations in the supply chain arising from different market uncertainties.
- In conjunction with the IBM PM evaluate & suggest improvement to program planning, programming, implementation & monitoring in connection with the field of expertise.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
This role works under the overall supervision of the Program Manager & the direct supervision of the IBM Program Officer.
Master’s Degree in Architecture, Civil, Structural Engineering, Building Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution OR Bachelor’s Degree in the same fields with minimum 2 years of same relevant professional experience.
- Experience in urban development in insecure, or post conflict environments.
- Experience & ability to produce & / or check the drawings including but not limited to site plans, architectural, structural & MEP drawings, cost estimation, BOQ & other layout plans which may be presented by prospective contractor(s).
- Proven skills & experience project monitoring of construction processes.
- Experience in working with international organizations, govt. institutions & / or aid organizations.
- Experience in working with govt. authorities including knowledge of building bylaws & building requirements an asset.
- Experience in construction / renovation work in Somalia.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office suite, including knowledge & experience in CAD based applications such as AutoCAD & / or Archi CAD for review of designs where necessary.
- Ability to produce & / or check the drawings including but not limited to site plans, architectural, structural & MEP drawings, cost estimation, BOQ & other layout plans which may be presented by prospective contractor(s).
- Fluency in English & Somali is required.
- Respects & promotes individual & cultural differences, encourages diversity & inclusion wherever possible.
- Maintains high ethical standards & acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules & standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent & committed manner & exercises careful judgment in meeting day to day challenges.
- Develops & promotes effective collaboration within & across units to achieve shared goals & optimize results.
- Produces & delivers quality results in a service oriented & timely manner, is action oriented & committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge & innovate.
- Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities & assumes responsibility for own action & delegated work.
- Encourages & contributes to clear & open communication, explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring & motivational way.
Team management: This role has no team management responsibility.
- Internals of the organization (including CTG) as well as external female candidates, will be considered as 1st tier candidates.
- This vacancy is also open to 2nd tier candidates.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements & security clearances.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization's page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.