Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Medical Officer or Medical Officer the UN Volunteer shall perform duties as the Nurse and Medical Emergency Coordinator (MEC) for UNSOS at the Level-I clinic in Kismayo.
The incumbent shall carry out the following duties;
- Head to toe assessment of patients, monitor vital signs, and develop a nursing care plan, including fluid and nutrition.
- Perform nasogastric tube insertion and gastric aspiration.
- Carry out urinary catheterization and care, urinary sample collection, and bladder wash-out.
- Administer medication by different routes including intravenous fluids, blood and blood products.
- Pre- and post-operative care of patients
- In Medical emergencies, perform basic cardiac life support (BCLS) and /or Cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Perform automated external defibrillation (AED)
- Assist the Medical Officer in the day-to-day running of the Level-I clinic in Kismayo.
- Respond to emergency calls and assists Medical Officers in providing adequate care to patients in distress.
- Coordinate movement of patients during Casevac/Medevac within and outside the mission area.
- Coordinate referral of national staff members to local medical facilities.
- Ensure effective liaison between the Mission’s Medical Cell, JOC, TCCs/PCCs, and other sections in the mission, namely Life Support/Supply, MovCon, Aviation, Security, MSC, Transport, etc.
- Liaise between the military and the civilian medical components in the mission area regarding referrals, hospitalization, and evacuation of uniformed personnel.
- Coordinate specialist consultations and hospitalizations of Kismayo mission staff.
- Assist in providing medical support to military patients during evacuations and repatriations.
- Is a member of the mission’s Emergency Response Team;
- Arrange for hand-outs, training materials, information boards/pamphlets, and liaises with other sections during preparations for training and health awareness programs for TCC/PCC.
- Prepare and collate data for monthly medical report and statistics.
- Assist the Medical Officer to input data in the Earthmed portal.
- Perform on-call duties as may be required by the CMO.
- Perform other related duties as may be required by the CMO.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments:
- BSc Nursing
- The incumbent must be a registered professional Nurse and a holder of first-level university degree from an accredited Baccalaureate Nursing Program or its equivalent (such as an accredited Diploma Program of not less than 4 years duration).
- The incumbent must be certified and registered to practice in his/her home country or another UN member state. License validity must cover the deployment period.
Required experience: 36 Months
At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience as a Nurse/Paramedic in a hospital setting is required. Experience in UN peacekeeping operations or in an international organization is highly desirable.
The incumbent must have the ability to operate ECG Machines, Defibrillators, Glucometer and patient monitors. Knowledge of managing electronic medical records is required. Candidate must have certificate in acute trauma care and life support (ATLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Pre-hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS).
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Nursing and midwifery, Other health related experience
Area of expertise details:
Recognized additional training in primary healthcare will be an advantage.
Driving license: Yes
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 07 February 2021