CARE Somalia/Somaliland is an international NGO working in Somalia/Somaliland. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering caused by drought, conflict and displacement.
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the nutrition supervisor and leadership of the Humanitarian program manager– The IYCF officer will be expected to have demonstrated experience and knowledge in emergency nutrition response and humanitarian assistance agenda in Somalia. He/she will be required to extensively travel and support Nutrition activities in Galmudug region as well as support other nutrition programs activities in other offices.
Responsibility 1; Implementation of IYCF activities in Galmudug region
- Manage and provide technical support to Mother to Mother Support groups volunteers and leaders
- Provide IYCF trainings to nutrition teams in Galmudug region
- Complete appropriate assessments of IYCF needs and malpractices and do analysis and come up with clear recommendations.
- Develop an action plan to improve IYCF practices through group and individual IYCF counselling for caregivers in Emergency Food Security Program – Phase II (ESFP II) project areas.
- Build the capacity of nutrition mobiles teams in appropriate IYCF counseling
- Ensure formation of the mother support group at the community level (in each village) and community IYCF counseling conducted for the group members on regular basis.
- Identify model mothers and explore their best experience and replicate the best experience in order to improve IYCF practice within the community.
- Identify/develop appropriate IEC materials and flash cards in local language and ensure that the materials are used during each counseling.
- Develop weekly and monthly plan towards the accomplishment of the Good behavioral change of IYCF practice.
- Document case studies regularly and share with the team members and with the nutrition supervisors
- Produce daily, weekly and monthly report regarding IYCF activities in Mudug and submit to Nutrition Supervisors on time.
Responsibility 2; Representation and External Engagements
- Coordinate with other nutrition stakeholders in Galmudug region and represent CARE nutrition programs to wider stakeholders and improve the visibility of our integrated CASH Plus program.
- Establish relevant partnership with key nutrition actors Galmudug to ensur referral pathways for nutrition treatment programs (OTP, TSFP, BSFP, SC) are established between CARE and the partners.
- Attend Nutrition cluster meetings and report to the 3W of the cluster in Galmudug region
- Provide updates on CARE’s projects at coordination meetings to increase CARE visibility.
- Represent the CARE at the Health, Food security, protection and WASH Working Group meeting when necessary
- Represent CARE at the humanitarian coordination forums convened by the UNOCHA in Mudug State.
- With support from sector Technical Specialists and field program staff, the Humanitarian Program Manager represent CARE in any other humanitarian meetings in the region.
Responsibility 3. Supervision and Capacity building of nutrition program (OTP and TSFP) team
- Provide supervision of the nutrition program implementation in the field and organized supervision visits to where IMAM services are being implemented in Galmudug
- Provide technical support to nutrition team in the implementation of essential nutrition services such as: therapeutic and supplementary feeding programs (OTP/TSFP/SC), infant and young child feeding, micronutrient supplementation, community mobilization and other services.
- Support training of Community Nutrition Workers and other potential partners in all aspects essential nutrition services.
- Conduct nutrition and health education sessions in the community and liaising with nutrition staff and community members to monitor IYCF activities in project areas.
- Oversee screening, registration and admission of children in the nutrition program in Galmudug and share monthly reports with Nutrition Supervisor
- Establish and operate community mobilization and referral system for nutrition services. Create referral links for access to other services for CARE nutrition beneficiaries.
- Strengthen planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and logistics systems with regards to nutrition activities.
- Support logistics and transportation of nutrition supplies in the field
- Monitor the appropriate use of nutrition supplies and keep record of stock
- Ensure mobile team observe COVID 19 measures and PPE kits are available for all sites.
- Assist the Nutrition Supervisor in monitoring the nutrition situation and participate in nutrition assessments, surveillance and program reviews and ensuring quality of these activities as required.
- Ensuring that all program components meet humanitarian standards.
- Prepare and submit supervision reports with key recommendation to the nutrition supervisor in a timely manner
- Performing any other responsibilities deemed appropriate by the line manager.
Responsibility 4. Reporting:
- Produce high quality and timely sitreps/reports (where necessary) for CARE, within agreed reporting schedules as required.
- Produce good case studies related to IYCF/ OTP/TSFP activities in Galmudug
- Keep record of how many beneficiaries in the nutrition program have also received Cash for cross comparison and learning.
- Keep record of all counselling done in a IYCF registers and do appropriate filing and bookkeeping.