Purpose of the assignment:
- The purpose of the consultancy is to develop the capacity & competence of the federal CID & state CIU. Along with trained Investigators to support current investigation programs, there is a need to provide a core of trained Investigators to create CIU in those FMS without a current investigation structure. The program will support by way of training & mentoring. In addition, support will be given to the selection, training & mentoring of Investigation Unit Administrators. The consultant will be part of the implementation team involved in the planning, development, establishment, training & mentoring across all facets of the CIP.
- The consultant will be responsible for the coordination of the programs’ day to day activities in their allocated FMS, in support of the overall strategic plan. This includes assisting with the delivery & administration of training across the CIP travel may be required to other FMS, along with regular visits to Mogadishu for team meetings / training.
- The assigned tasks are in line with current reform of SPF, under the New Policing Model (NPM), ratified at the London Somalia Conference, 2017. The capacity building of SPF investigation departments & units is also supported under the Comprehensive Agreement on Security (CAS), strand 2 (b).
Specific deliverables to be performed by the consultant:
The consultant will have no executive authority to make decisions that have a cost or other direct impact on the program. Within assigned authority, the consultant, under the direction of the Central Implementation Team (CIT) & under the overall supervision of the Program Management Officer, will be responsible for assisting in the overall effective delivery of the CIP through a broad range of technical, administrative & information gathering activities to support the delivery the CIP. These tasks will include the following duties:
- Provide advice & mentorship, as directed by the CIT, to the Director & Chief of Investigations in line with CIP activities, to include crime statistics & asset management.
- Act as the Liaison Officer between the CIT & local Police Commissioner / Attorney General / Ministry of Internal Security / CID / CIU in respect of program requirements & procedures.
- Assist with the classroom delivery, training & administration of Investigation Management & Administration Training (IMAT) locally, assisting both remote & on the ground presence of the IMAT Mentors.
- Classroom delivery, training & administration of the Investigators Development Course (IDC) locally, assisting both remote & on the ground presence of the training Mentors.
- Assist with the delivery & administration of the Investigator Continued Development Program (ICDP).
- Assist with the creation & monitoring of SIU under the direction of CIT.
- Identify & highlight FMS issues that require CIP interaction or intervention at the earliest opportunity.
- Provide regular concise oral & written reports in respect of all program activities.
Expected tangible & measurable output(s) / deliverable(s):
- Workplan on overall assignment developed in conjunction with CIT, to identify best methodology to contribute to the ongoing implementation of the CIP, in consultation with the local actors within the criminal justice sector.
Rapid assessment, strategic & operational support of the CIP:
- Conduct a rolling assessment on the implementation of the CIP, with a focus upon asset management, stipend & utility administration.
- In conjunction with the CIT, develop proposals & plans for the establishment of all facets of the CIP; to include training, mentorship of all CIP activities.
- Provide ongoing in country mentoring & advice, on the direction of the CIT, to maintain the procedures, mentorship & training programs implemented under the CIP.
- Provide regular reports in respect of ongoing requirements.
Assist with the development & administration of all CIP training programs:
- Facilitate the delivery of remote training programs under the IDP & IMAT programs.
- Provide support in respect of administration functions & end of course reports.
- Maintain an ongoing liaison in respect of Investigator assessment & identification of suitable trainees.
Oversee equipment management / accountability systems:
- Provide support in overseeing management & accountability systems developed by the CIP for monitoring the use, condition & maintenance of equipment for investigation units.
- Provide advice & oversight in respect of systems for the support of utilities to investigation units.
- Status reports submitted to our client.
- Within limits of personal safety, security & without compromising the position of the consultant to effectively support the CIP as detailed within these TOR’s, provide local knowledge & context, as requested, to our client & INL with regards to events that directly affect the FMS within which the consultant is working. This would include commenting on political, social & criminal acts, as requested.
Dates & details of deliverables / payments:
- The consultant will receive the payment upon satisfactory performance & progress of deliverables.
Indicators to evaluate the contractor’s performance:
All the outputs should be submitted in English & meet the satisfaction of our client according to the following indicators:
- Quality of the written outputs produced.
- Technical competence.
- Timeliness of the delivery.
The evaluation of the consultant’s performance (the quality of the reports & products, the technical competence shown & the timeliness of the reports) will be determined by the Regional Representative, Regional Office for Eastern Africa (ROEA) in Kenya, in close coordination & consultation with our clients HQ. If the consultant does not meet the requirements, s / he will be provided with an opportunity to redraft in terms of the guidance provided by the assessors. If after redrafting the requirements are not met, then our client reserve the right to non payment & / or suspension of the consultancy contract.
- The position is open to serving Police Officers who have the written authority of the Police Commissioner to take a leave of absence for the duration of the contract.
- The remuneration will commence at the entry rate & will be subject, upon satisfactory performance reviews, to increases as authorized by the Program Manager / donor.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.